Worms

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
Today I noticed one of the chickens poop had little white worms in it. From my research I'm thinking they're tape worms. I ordered some Equimax equine paste based off of reading from here but can't seem to find one dosing recommendation. I mean, I found some but they all seem to be different. So does anyone know the proper dosing per lb? Also, is there an egg withdrawal period and do I need to scoop up all of the poop? I have 24 chickens in a 1800 sq ft run so that's going to be a pain.

No poop scooping required.
The dose is 0.16 ml/5# bird or 0.032 ml/#. You will need a 1cc syringe with 0.1 cc graduations on it to dose. I would take each bird into an area with no other bird, squirt the dose into a small piece of bread then feed it and release the bird. Keep going until all birds have been treated.
Repeat in 10-14 days.

No poop scooping required.
The dose is 0.16 ml/5# bird or 0.032 ml/#. You will need a 1cc syringe with 0.1 cc graduations on it to dose. I would take each bird into an area with no other bird, squirt the dose into a small piece of bread then feed it and release the bird. Keep going until all birds have been treated.
Repeat in 10-14 days.
Oh that's good news about the poop. Not too worried about the squirting. We had to give tylan when they all got MG. That was fun. Good thing is the big girls don't move as fast. Bad thing is I have young ones who do move fast. Time to put the kids to work 😂

Is there an egg withdrawal period?

Can you narrow down which chicken had the dropping? It is possible that if only one had the tapeworm segments in her poop, the others would not need to be wormed. It would be good to see a picture of the dropping. Were the white tapes moving? Equimax, (or Praziquantel,) like most medicines, is not approved for chickens, but used off label for tapeworms. So, it does not have an official egg withdrawal time. But in Australia, they recommend at least 10-14 days of avoiding eating eggs after praziquantel use.

Tapeworms are spread by eating the intermediate hosts, which contain the eggs of tapeworms. Each tapeworm segment contains dozens of eggs. Those include worms, snails, slugs, beetles, flies and grasshoppers. Removing droppings from an infected chicken and those hosts can help the chicken not be reinfected.

Can you narrow down which chicken had the dropping? It is possible that if only one had the tapeworm segments in her poop, the others would not need to be wormed. It would be good to see a picture of the dropping. Were the white tapes moving? Equimax, (or Praziquantel,) like most medicines, is not approved for chickens, but used off label for tapeworms. So, it does not have an official egg withdrawal time. But in Australia, they recommend at least 10-14 days of avoiding eating eggs after praziquantel use.

Tapeworms are spread by eating the intermediate hosts, which contain the eggs of tapeworms. Each tapeworm segment contains dozens of eggs. Those include worms, snails, slugs, beetles, flies and grasshoppers. Removing droppings from an infected chicken and those hosts can help the chicken not be reinfected.
I don't think I could narrow it down. I have 24 birds in a 1800 sq ft run. I'd have to watch each bird poop. The worms were moving when I first saw it but I believe the chicken had just pooped as it wasn't there when I went into the run.(it was right in front of the door and dark poop which made the white worms stick out) When I went back out a few hours later they were no longer moving. They looked like grains of white rice. But not as thick as rice. I can try and get a picture tomorrow. I'll look under the roost in the morning and inspect poops. That wil give me an idea if it's just 1 or multiple girls. I'll toss the eggs. Better safe than sorry.

We've also had tons of beetles and huge grasshoppers lately so that could be a source.

Not my picture but it did look like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211104-204439_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211104-204439_Samsung Internet.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 10
Going to pick up the meds today. Got it for curbside. Once I get back I'll treat each one (wish me luck) I also have wood chips ready to add in so I'll go ahead and do that today also. Busy day ahead of me.

Ok. They all got their first dose. Holy crap they were hard to catch. I have 24 and the last 7 gave me a good workout. I checked their poop from last night and a few poops had worms so I'm just treating them all. Will repeat in 10-14days.

Back
Top Bottom