Worms?

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
I was cleaning the coop and found 1 single poop with a suspicious hard spaghetti looking thing in it. (Maybe a round worm?) That was the only one I saw that looked suspicious. Should I treat the flock? Or just keep an eye out? Everyone is acting normal. I took in a new roo the other day. Checked him and his poop over before introducing and all seemed clear. Could it maybe have been a pine needle or should I treat just to be on the safe side? I have dogs and goats too and they hangout in the yard together so I really don't want to take changes. If I see any more I will take a pic but I had gloves on and didn't want to run in to grab my phone lol.

A picture will definitely help. Have you fed them anyting like noodles recently? Keep looking for signs of worms in their poop. Did it look like this?

Attachments

• 1701225451873.png
    1701225451873.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 8
A picture will definitely help. Have you fed them anyting like noodles recently? Keep looking for signs of worms in their poop. Did it look like this?
It was shorter than the photo and looked really hard and dried out, and the poop was normal not runny at all. I will keep paying attention and take a photo if I see anything else. No noodles, but leftover turkey carcass. Leafy greens and my neighbor tosses them plain cheerios once a while lol. It was only 1 worm looking thing. If it is worms it would be multiple in most poops right? I also add ACV to their water regularly. But that won't matter if it was from the new fella I introduced this week.

It was shorter than the photo and looked really hard and dried out, and the poop was normal not runny at all. I will keep paying attention and take a photo if I see anything else. No noodles, but leftover turkey carcass. Leafy greens and my neighbor tosses them plain cheerios once a while lol. It was only 1 worm looking thing. If it is worms it would be multiple in most poops, right? I also add ACV to their water regularly. But that won't matter if it was from the new fella, I introduced this week.
The wet and watery part doesn't matter if this poop was seemingly from a while ago, it'll just dry up. I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't found any other poops with the worm. Just to be safe you can give them a poultry wormer, especially that new rooster. Just keep looking out for more evidence of them and treat them if you find more and you should be fine!

I was cleaning the coop and found 1 single poop with a suspicious hard spaghetti looking thing in it. (Maybe a round worm?) That was the only one I saw that looked suspicious. Should I treat the flock? Or just keep an eye out? Everyone is acting normal. I took in a new roo the other day. Checked him and his poop over before introducing and all seemed clear. Could it maybe have been a pine needle or should I treat just to be on the safe side? I have dogs and goats too and they hangout in the yard together so I really don't want to take changes. If I see any more I will take a pic but I had gloves on and didn't want to run in to grab my phone lol.

It was shorter than the photo and looked really hard and dried out, and the poop was normal not runny at all. I will keep paying attention and take a photo if I see anything else. No noodles, but leftover turkey carcass. Leafy greens and my neighbor tosses them plain cheerios once a while lol. It was only 1 worm looking thing. If it is worms it would be multiple in most poops right? I also add ACV to their water regularly. But that won't matter if it was from the new fella I introduced this week.
Photos would be helpful, if you see it again, please post photos.

Since you are not sure if what you saw was a pine needle or something else, I think I'd wait on deworming unless you take a sampling of poop to your vet for a fecal float - this test will tell you if you need to deworm or not.

The wet and watery part doesn't matter if this poop was seemingly from a while ago, it'll just dry up. I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't found any other poops with the worm. Just to be safe you can give them a poultry wormer, especially that new rooster. Just keep looking out for more evidence of them and treat them if you find more and you should be fine!
I checked again today when letting them out and did not see anything else. I got this to add to the flocks water just to be on the safe side. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231129_080025_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231129_080025_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 4
I checked again today when letting them out and did not see anything else. I got this to add to the flocks water just to be on the safe side. Thank you!
Oh I have some young pullets little under 3 months old, would it be safe for them too? They are in the same coop and share water.

That will settle out of water. (Doesn't mix well with water).
Fenbendazole (Safeguard) dosing is by weight, so treat each bird individually.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

That will settle out of water. (Doesn't mix well with water).
Fenbendazole (Safeguard) dosing is by weight, so treat each bird individually.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
Is it safe for the younger ones in the flock as well?

Back
Top Bottom