Worms

PattyO

Songster
9 Years
Oct 25, 2010
I was wondering how many of you regularly deworm your chickens. I only have six pullets in a small backyard. I regularly pick up droppings in the backyard and am using the deep litter method in my covered outdoor run. What products do you use? Is anyone familiar with Flubenevet? I believer you can only get this in the UK. Supposedly no withdrawal period. How frequently do you deworm? Is there any truth that chickens can develop a certain resistance to parasites? Also does anyone regularly use product for the prevention of lice and mites as we would use a monthly product for heartworms, fleas and ticks for our dogs?

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in the water, 1 tablespoon per gallon. I've never had to use any type of wormer, I'll accrdit it to this. Lice and mites are easy. Frontline Spray, use a q-tip or eye dropper. One drop in crest or back of head, one under each wing, and one near the vent. This kills all the creepy crawleys DEAD. You can also use this to spray directly on the legs if you ever get scaly leg mites.

I do not de-worm my chickens regularly, but I do have to deal with mites on a fairly regular basis because my birds live in close proximity to and free range with several wild ground birds that have made their home in my yard. I use a product called Eprinex, which deals with both internal and external parasites at the same time and it also has no egg withdrawal time. The only problems I have encountered with Eprinex is that it is hard to locate in small amounts and it is very expensive. Other than those two things, I have no complaints about the product.

Poultry can live with a certain internal parasite load. There are plenty of people who have never wormed their flocks. There are also folks that try to control the worm load using pumpkin seeds and buttermilk as a natural flush to remove excess worms. Birds almost always have at least some worms- they live on the ground and eat dirt and bugs. The trick is making sure they don't get overloaded with them. You need to decide for your flock what is acceptable to you and them.

Preventative measures for external parasites are used regularly and often by folks here. No one wants to have to deal with bugs, believe me. It's a pain in the neck. DE and wood ash are frequently used in dust bath areas and both are preventatives. DE is used inside and outside the coop to prevent bugs. The best bug deterrent out there is to ensure your birds have a dust box to take dirt baths in year round. Those dirt baths are their way of keeping the bugs off.

I hope I answered most of your questions. I am not familiar with the product you mentioned. I know about it but have never used it.

Good luck.

Quote:
Yes, during the summer. I check them weekly though and they may get it more than that if needed. I have crested breeds and mites just love them for some reason.

I worm my chickens quarterly due to our warm moist soil conditions. If their feet touch the ground, they'll eventually get worms. For lice or mites, I use sevin dust primarily...but have used eprinex.

Last edited:
I looked up the frontline spray but dont think I can use it because some of my hens are producing.. I use dusting powder once a month.. but will also try the apple cider vinegar... because they seem thin to me I went to Bob's Redmill and got a 50# bag of oatmeal and a bag of course corn meal and am going to add that into their Highlay feed.. One thing I dont do is grit so think I need to add that after reading the blog...
Thanks
Debi

Back
Top Bottom