Worried 😟 about my hen staying in the box for three days without hydration or feed !

FlyboyStinson

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2022
She is a black silkie and gets picked on by the eight other hens….no eggs under her, makes whimpering response when I try to get her to leave…….
Leave her alone or pick her up and take her to water and feed !?!
Flyboy Stinson
🐓👍

She is a black silkie and gets picked on by the eight other hens….no eggs under her, makes whimpering response when I try to get her to leave…….

I would lift her out and put her by the water and feed, then watch what she does and what the other hens do.

She could be broody (wanting to hatch eggs).
Or she could be hiding from the other hens who pick on her.
How she & they act can help sort out which is which.
A broody hen will tend to ignore the other hens, or chase them away, and will focus on eating & drinking, pooping, and going back to the nest. She will usually have her feathers very fluffed up too, so she looks big and scary. A hen who is scared of the others will act very differently.

Are you sure she has not eaten or drunk? Broody hens will often come off the nest for a quick meal when you are not looking. If you feel her crop and it has food in it, you know she did eat and you just didn't see it.

First welcome to BYC! :welcome
You've found a great place to learn anything poultry! There are many members here with lots of experience and willing to share.

The above posts give great advice. I've never had silkies but I hear they love to raise chicks so this may be what's going on with yours.
Good luck with your birds!

I agree with the others, sounds like she may be broody. Normally they will puff up and pterodactyl screech at you when you disturb them. Mine look like angry pine cones lol

A broody hen will typically only leave the nest once a day to eat, drink and will have a giant poop. There are ways you can break hurt like putting frozen water bottles under her, dip her in cold water or put her in an elevated wire bottom cage with no bedding for a couple days.

I agree with the others, sounds like she may be broody. Normally they will puff up and pterodactyl screech at you when you disturb them. Mine look like angry pine cones lol

A broody hen will typically only leave the nest once a day to eat, drink and will have a giant poop. There are ways you can break hurt like putting frozen water bottles under her, dip her in cold water or put her in an elevated wire bottom cage with no bedding for a couple days.
Thanks 😊
:welcome Do you have any pictures of her in the nest. we might be able to see if she’s broody.
she is resting in the dust bath 🛀

Flyboy Stinson
🐓👍
Hey, you got the same b-day card I did! :lau

So, seriously, it is NOT good for her to go so long with out food and water, particularly if she isn't broody! I would absolutely take her to water and feed, and stand guard for a bit to protect her so she does eat and drink.

How long have you had her...?is this a new behavior on the part of the others? If so, what has changed in the flock dynamics for this to start? (so maybe you can remedy it?) Do you have 'hiding spots' in the fun she can escape to? If so, are you able to put small cup food and waterers there for her to have a safe place to go ?& still be able to eat & drink? If not, can you make a few spaces like that in the run so she has places to escape & eat/drink?

Hey, you got the same b-day card I did! :lau

So, seriously, it is NOT good for her to go so long with out food and water, particularly if she isn't broody! I would absolutely take her to water and feed, and stand guard for a bit to protect her so she does eat and drink.

How long have you had her...?is this a new behavior on the part of the others? If so, what has changed in the flock dynamics for this to start? (so maybe you can remedy it?) Do you have 'hiding spots' in the fun she can escape to? If so, are you able to put small cup food and waterers there for her to have a safe place to go ?& still be able to eat & drink? If not, can you make a few spaces like that in the run so she has places to escape & eat/drink?
I took her to water and feed, she is sun 🌞 bathing now, has a mark on her neck where the other hens pecked her, but she is back in the flock with less chasing by the Rhode Island Reds !
🐓😊👍

Back
Top Bottom