Worried about chick

Patiocoturnix

🦠
Premium Feather Member
Jun 15, 2023
West central Florida
Double posting from the quail forum to see if I get more help here.

I have a quail who just hatched yesterday he hatched 1/4 size as the rest I was dumb and incubated a tiny egg now he’s just been screaming his head off no idea why he’s staggering around like he’s drunk and he I guess chooses not to use his eyes as everytime I look at him they are almost always closed they do open. Could he be blind? And just can’t see the rest?
@Wyorp Rock @azygous can you please help

Double posting from the quail forum to see if I get more help here.

I have a quail who just hatched yesterday he hatched 1/4 size as the rest I was dumb and incubated a tiny egg now he’s just been screaming his head off no idea why he’s staggering around like he’s drunk and he I guess chooses not to use his eyes as everytime I look at him they are almost always closed they do open. Could he be blind? And just can’t see the rest?
@Wyorp Rock @azygous can you please help
For more info I have given sugar water to boost energy and I have put him back in the incubator with the other eggs as he was getting bullied pretty hard.

Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench? If you do, then give him 1 drop, 3 times a day.

The sugar water is fine, if that's what you have.

If he's really tiny, he may not make it, or it may just take more time for him to catch up.

Have you seen him open his eyes at all?

Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench? If you do, then give him 1 drop, 3 times a day.

The sugar water is fine, if that's what you have.

If he's really tiny, he may not make it, or it may just take more time for him to catch up.

Have you seen him open his eyes at all?
No I only have sugar water I can’t afford nutri drench.
Yes he has opened his eyes a couple of times when I look at him.

Here is a pic of him next to his sibling that is the same age as him he’s super super tiny.

Attachments

• IMG_4232.jpeg
    IMG_4232.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 6
Oh goodness! A bitty baby!

Give him a drop of sugar water, but I'd also give drops of plain water too. Quail drink a lot as you know. I don't know what it is with them, but they are water hogs.

I'd grind the feed to powder for this tiny one or offer it as wet soaked feed. See if he will start eating.
He may also need to be by himself so he's not trampled. Do you have another brooder and heat source?
If not, he's so tiny, you could technically leave him in the bator for another day, but I'd try to get him moving around in a small brooder space and eating/drinking on his own.

Oh goodness! A bitty baby!

Give him a drop of sugar water, but I'd also give drops of plain water too. Quail drink a lot as you know. I don't know what it is with them, but they are water hogs.

I'd grind the feed to powder for this tiny one or offer it as wet soaked feed. See if he will start eating.
He may also need to be by himself so he's not trampled. Do you have another brooder and heat source?
If not, he's so tiny, you could technically leave him in the bator for another day, but I'd try to get him moving around in a small brooder space and eating/drinking on his own.
After giving sugar water and letting him be in the incubator for the night he is doing better way more energy not stumbling and his eyes are staying open.
Thank you so much for your help and I’ll keep you updated on its progress

Attachments

• IMG_4251.jpeg
    IMG_4251.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4255.jpeg
    IMG_4255.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 4
I sadly had to cull the poor baby he wasn’t doing good and was suffering just sprawled out not moving. Here’s a pic of h right before I culled him you can tell he wasn’t doing good. Thank you so much for your help @Wyorp Rock it was very much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 4
I sadly had to cull the poor baby he wasn’t doing good and was suffering just sprawled out not moving. Here’s a pic of h right before I culled him you can tell he wasn’t doing good. Thank you so much for your help @Wyorp Rock it was very much appreciated
:hugsI'm sorry about the little one, it's rough losing them.

Back
Top Bottom