Worried about chick!!

animal-lover99

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Connecticut
My little Sultan chick is almost 4 weeks old. I believe she is sick and i'm very worried. She is breathing heavy and a bit rapidly, her wings are held very loosely, she isn't eating or drinking much either. She used to be the first to eat and last to leave the food container now she will wait until everyone else eats and drinks make her way over and eat a tiny bit or until another chick bumps into her (same with drinking) most times I will literally have to bring her to the food by picking her up and putting her next to the food and keeping the others away from her. She used to be our "feisty one" being very active and steeling treats from the others mouths and traveling wherever she wants to go. She is now sleeping a lot and staying in place when i take her out side on a nice day or bring her upstairs to play with. She also has diarrhea. Please help me tell me what you think she has, if possible tell me what to do step by step, or tell me if she needs to go to the vet if it's the only way to get her healthy. I really appreciate any answers as I love her so much and could not stand to lose her.

The first thing I do with young chicks who were previously active and thriving and suddenly go lethargic and not eating/drinking is treat them for coccidiosis. It's extremely common in chicks this age and it's a very good idea to at least rule it out. Get some Corid, liquid or powder and run the course of treatment for 5 to 7 days. Dose for powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water, dose for liquid is 9.6 ml per gallon. Make it up fresh every day. For the sick chick, give it to her directly with an eye dropper or a syringe with no needle. Just carefully dribble some in her beak or on the side of her beak and let her swallow it. Do this every hour or so the first day or until you see her drink on her own once she's feeling better.

Last edited:
The first thing I do with young chicks who were previously active and thriving and suddenly go lethargic and not eating/drinking is treat them for coccidiosis.  It's extremely common in chicks this age and it's a very good idea to at least rule it out.  Get some Corid, liquid or powder and run the course of treatment for 5 to 7 days.  Dose for powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water, dose for liquid is 9.6 ml per gallon.  Make it up fresh every day.  For the sick chick, give it to her directly with an eye dropper or a syringe with no needle.  Just carefully dribble some in her beak or on the side of her beak and let her swallow it.  Do this every hour or so the first day or until you see her drink on her own once she's feeling better. 
Where can I get that? She's eating and drinking more now and also getting a tiny bit more active but she's still sneezing (not as much) and holding her wings loosely, does this mean she's getting better and I won't have to do that?

Corid can be found at most feed stores or Tractor Supply, look for it in the cattle dept. Some places also stock the liquid in the poultry dept.
It's a good thing to keep on hand when raising chicks.

You'll have to decide whether or not to treat. It certainly won't hurt. If she seems to be improving you could try putting some Save-A-Chick in the water. If you think she's still somewhat lethargic or still has diarrhea you might still go ahead and give Corid just to rule out that possibility.

Back
Top Bottom