Worried about getting permission from neighbor for chickens...

That's a great idea of having a neighborhood petition slip... Might have to ask my wonderful neighbor across the street (who is on good terms with the Criminal and his dad) if she'd consider it. Thanks for the idea. As far as the moving of the coop goes, unfortunately, I've got no more yard left, or I'd put it at least 100' from the criminal anyway... i'm stuck in this location which is as far away from them as possible.

Oh, and for the person who worried about their safety, I was very aware of that, so I installed a locked 8-foot-high gate protecting my backyard, so they wouldn't have access to my yard to ever hurt them. They don't appear to be animal-hater type people at all; just messy and dirty. But I know the old man loves his dogs. He even came to my house when I first moved in to ask if i had lost a cat that he had found (and subsequently adopted). This was all before his son ruined everything between us last year. Sad, isn't it? I love all my other neighbors...

I would have originally just said it would be easier to "ask forgiveness than to ask permission" but I also think the idea
PineappleMamma had is a good one. That would also give you a written way of proving it is ok, if "Criminal" ever tries to say he never said it was ok speech. And since "Criminal" does seem to be the sort of person that would do just that, it would maybe help you out in the longrun. Although, even though he is a real stinker, it doesn't seem like this person would have a clue about ordinances and laws givin his disregaurd to them.
Since it is just a couple of hens, that seem real sweet, you shouldn't have any problems arise anyway. Although, just a footnote, if you are anywhere near where wild critters might be, make sure to make it like fort knox, they find all sorts of ways to get in when you think it is a safe place for them to be.
wink.png

I'd just go for it. If he hasn't paid his mortgage or taxes in 24 months, he will soon be up for bank foreclosure and/or tax sale. If he notices and causes trouble, the chickens could always go back to the farm. Ordinarily I would say deal with the guy, but since you have HISTORY with him (barking dog complaint) I would choose to be somewhat less straight forward. Good Luck.

Why judge the father as being a bad person, when it sounds like it's the son who is the creep? And you said the son doesn't live there full time. Most of what you said was about the son anyway. Give the old guy a chance, he may surprise you. He probably won't even care since he surely knows he is living there on borrowed time.

In my opinion, I would wait for a casual conversation to bring it up, like you said, when he was outside taking out the garbage or something. Some people get really cranky if you go up and ring the doorbell and they have to stop what they are doing to answer (even if it is just watching TV). And recruiting the neighbor who gets along with the old guy could be a step to mending fences. Even if you don't take the neighbor with you, ask them what they think the guy would say if you approached for permission or if they have any advice on how to approach him.

Quote:
Check your zoning setbacks. Unless their property is significantly smaller than yours, chances are pretty good that their residence is quite a bit farther than 10' from the property line. Usually the larger the property, the larger the setback. My setbacks are 40' on the front, 20' on the side and 35' on the back. However, we are in the agricultural zone and have very large lots. The SMALLEST front and rear setbacks are 15'; side setbacks are as small as 5'. But that is my zoning, stated as an example; yours is what is relevant.

The idea of checking and measuring distances on google maps is a good idea. Likewise the idea of a neighborhood permission "slip."

Unless the Criminal is the property owner, what he has to say does not matter; it is what his father, the owner allows (or not). If the Criminal is the property owner, then he is the one who must sign.

Tax records are public information and should be available to anyone; ones mortgage payment is not a public record, and you should not be able to get that information without permission from the mortgagee. Whether there is a mortgage or not is likely a recorded document, making it a public record, but payments? Not. If the mortgage is paid off, there may or may not be a recorded document showing that the property owner has full title.

Hi Neighbor,

I'm right off of 38th ave not too far from you. I'm having my coop built Saturday for 2 hens. Did I bother asking permission from my neighbors? Heck no. One has a neglected yard including a mini van in the backyard that hasn't moved in 3 yrs. The other didn't bother to ask me about how I felt when he illegally rented out a small apartment he isn't zoned for in his single family residence.
I say go for it. Chances are, they won't even know they are there.

If you DO decide to do the group permission thing make sure no one goes all John Hancock on it... so there's room to sneak extra siggies in in the future if the need arises.
tongue.png

Honestly I'd type up a very basic statement, but then go around the neighborhood and get anyone you can to sign it... even ones who don't need his permission... just so it looks like a united front you know?

Hope it works out for you, sounds like your neighbors are nice enough to pitch in.
smile.png

Quote:
If you don't ask then you won't be able to report a dangerous dog anymore than they can call on you.

But if you have (written) permission and are totally legal then you can totally get that dog picked up with no risk of getting caught and losing your girls.

Last edited:
Hi!! I didn't get to read this entire post, but welcome from a fellow St.Peter!
Just build it. It's only two birds. I built mine without knowing about the 100 foot rule. It's about 60 feet from either neighbor, and I have nine chickens in there. It sounds like you will be plenty far from them, and chances are they will never know they are there. And I agree, I doubt they would call code enforcement, or bother to look up the rules.
Enjoy your chickens!!

Quote:
I second that...and have to ask...

OP, why did you type disparagingly about the father? You implied he was sleaze because he is home-bound due to being on disability. Maybe that is why the neighbors don't get along with Criminal's family: sounds like a lot of assumptions and gossiping about this family's personal affairs...if you want them to be nice to you, be nice to them. I highly doubt you will find yourself raped if you take them a basket of cookies and ask politely.

Back
Top Bottom