Worried about Mareks - my only pullet (13 weeks old)

http://www.ukpoultrysupplies.co.uk/products/details/poultry-nutri-drops-30ml.html

Doesn't say the concentrations but does contain riboflavin:
Vitamins A, E, D3, B12. Niacin, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin

Yes switching from crumb to grower today, these are the ingredients of the grower:

Crude Protein: 16.0% Crude Oils and Fats: 4.5% Crude Fibre: 5.0% Crude Ash: 6.0%
Lysine: 0.7% Methionine: 0.3% Calcium: 0.9% Phosphorous: 0.7% Sodium: 0.14%
Composition: Wheat, Wheat Feed, Beans, Linseed, Peas, Maize, Di-calcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Yeast, Seaweed
Additives (per kg): Vitamins: E672 Vitamin A: 10.0 k iu (as retinyl acetate); E671 Vitamin D3: 1.5 k iu (as cholecalciferol); E3a700 Vitamin E: 45.0mg (as all-rac-alpha-tocopheryl acetate). Trace elements: 33mg Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate (E1-Iron); 27mg Zinc Oxide (E6-Zinc); 32mg Manganous Oxide (E5-Manganese); 0.22mg Sodium Selenite (E8-Selenium);

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 8.26.58 AM.png

http://www.nettexpoultry.com/products/health-nutrition/nutri-drops

Is this the product?

See if she improves with the Nutri Drops. The grower looks balanced, but she is still growing, so she may benefit from extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat as well. The 16% protein, imho is a bit low for a 3month old, so once a day boost it will a little more.

It's possible she may have a disease like Marek's, but seeing if there is improvement with vitamin therapy won't hurt.
I'm not that familiar with the Ko Shamo breed, so you may want to reach out to any breeders here on BYC to see if they have any better suggestions about any type of genetic/developmental disorders that affect the breed or if they require any special in their diet.

She's lovely and very interesting to boot - I hope she gets better soon.

I came to visit her before her bed time and she got up and walked a foot towards and then into my hands. Sweet bird. Otherwise been the same, not wanting to drink water but eating fine.

I came to visit her before her bed time and she got up and walked a foot towards and then into my hands. Sweet bird. Otherwise been the same, not wanting to drink water but eating fine.
Could you try soaking her feed...start with a half cup of feed...let it absorb water for about 5 minutes...
See if she will eat that.

I'm very sorry to hear about your pullet. I hope it's something as simple as a deficiency. Everyone's given good advice. I'd like to add the following links for your perusal. It might help to understand how these deficiencies can affect your bird. You might see something that you recognize.

I don't see it listed with the ingredients above and I'm not sure if the Nutri drops contain Vitamin C (I have not seen Vitamin C included with poultry/bird vitamins here) but it may be beneficial to add Vitamin C if it's possible. Chickens synthesize Vitamin C...but can suffer from deficiencies in times of stress.

https://www.dsm.com/markets/anh/en_US/Compendium/poultry/vitamin_C.html
*Although vitamin C can be synthesized by poultry, the synthesis is reduced or the requirements for vitamin C are increased during times of stress. During times of environmental, nutritional or pathological stress, the addition of ascorbic acid to the birds’ feed or to their drinking water appears to alleviate many of the undesirable physical consequences of exposure (e.g., chronic adrenocortical activation, immunosuppression, weight loss and reduced egg production) to single or multiple concurrent stressful stimuli such as high environmental temperature, beak trimming, coccidiosis challenge and transportation (Pardue and Thaxton, 1986; Satterlee et al., 1989; Kutlu and Forbes, 1993; McKee and Harrison, 1995; Jones, 1996; Whitehead and Keller, 2003, Roussan et al., 2008). Thyroid status may be a factor affecting the ascorbic acid requirement, with supplemental vitamin C improving chick performance from experimentally induced hypothyroidism (Takahashi et al., 1991).
**There is further information regarding studies involving Vitamin C

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/3508/importance-of-vitamins-in-poultry-production/
*Poultry can make vitamin C, so there is no dietary requirement established for this vitamin. Vitamin C supplementation is useful when birds are in stress.

I'm also adding the site below, it explains some very key deficiencies.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice - she is still sitting mainly but her stance looks a lot more healthy than it was before - her leg no longer splayed out. She seems more alert and is eating even better (with vigour actually). Still not drinking much, though I've soaked her feed as you suggested KikisGirls. I've also added some vitamin C. She's got company the whole time too.

Here's hoping that she'll turn a corner soon.

WhatsApp Image 2017-08-22 at 16.48.48.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-08-22 at 17.02.01.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom