worried about my chicken

Great information - cannot thank you all enough. I am going out to get it now and will start giving her the water today. Any suggestions on how much I should get in her? I am using syringes to get food and water down her.

Great information - cannot thank you all enough. I am going out to get it now and will start giving her the water today. Any suggestions on how much I should get in her? I am using syringes to get food and water down her.
I would add the corrid to the water and continue using the syringe to make sure she is getting the medication. You can also syringe feed her plain yogurt.

the syringe holds up to2 tsp...about how much water should I be giving her a day? I have no real concept of what is normal.
thanks so much.

so I purchased the only thing they had: Corid (Amprolium) 20% soluable powder
coccidiostat - an aid in the treatment and prevention of bovine coccidiosis....that is the right one? and just a 1/2 tsp per gallon ofwater for 5 days?
thanks for you help much appreciated

also wondering - can we still eat eggs they lay if they have been treated with corid? fyi - they are young and won't start laying for another 2 months at least

Well, Agnes is eating the applesauce and drinking her water on her own, but otherwise much the same, very tired and not walking around. Should I have already seen improvement? I started her on the corid water yesterday afternoon.

You probably have a sick chicken. I would call a vet if I were u. Check if she's feel/looks bloated. I had a hen who was all bloated and sick so I took her to the vet, he said my hen is making eggs with no egg shells so she cant lay them. He said that there is no cure. Another hen I had who was bloated went to the vet (I assumed she had the same thing my last hen did) and she said she had reproduction cancer, she was trying to treat her then she died. I thing we caught the cancer way to late. it had already spread to a lot of other places in her body. Check if her poops are runny she could have worms or mites. She could also be egg bound. I request posting another thread in the E/D/C section. I hope your chicken is ok. when chickens get sick their hard to cure.
Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply. What is the EDC section? I am new to this forum. My chicken is young, too young to lay for at least 2 more months, so I doubt eggbound. I did take her to the vet who did an exam and put her on clavamox in case she had eaten something that gave her an infection. I also have her on Corid in her water in case it is Cocci, which is what most in the forum think it is. She is not bloated and just acts lethargic, but has improved since Tuesday when she just laid her head down flat, poor girl. Now she will stand if I help her and she will eat applesauce and a few crumbles and will drink her water. Her stools are loose, though no blood, and she seems to be pooping at a normal pace, best as I can tell, which is pretty often given what I scoop up in the run normally. any other thoughts? The vet is supposed to be calling me today so if there is anyting I should ask that would be great.
I really appreciate all the input, I am new to chickens but love them dearly, and Agnes is a real sweet girl, hate to see her feeling so poor.

Back
Top Bottom