Worried about my littlest chick

ChickenKatie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
I have a baby, about 3 days old. Neck seems misshaped, but he is drinking some and eating. He cheeps a lot, I noticed a tiny bit of what I think is blood on his fluff. I'm worried if maybe he needs to be isolated so he can get a head start, will the other chicks be ok with him, or not?

Hi ChickenKatie - welcome! Sorry about your little peep. If he is getting around and eating and drinking he might be okay. But if there is blood on him the other chicks are likely to start pecking him, which won't be good. So if he's bloody it would be better to separate him. Good luck!

If the chick is bleeding he may very well be pecked on by the other chicks. If so you will need to isolate the chick until it heals.

:)Yes ChickenKatie, I think that I would also go ahead and isolate her. Make sure that she is getting all the food, water, warmth and attention that she needs and then try to integrate her back in a few days. Where is the blood anyway? Is it near her vent? Good luck to you and that baby.

You can make a half-circle of hardware cloth and put it in one end of the brooder. Make sure part of it is under the lamp. Put in little water and food containers, and a feather duster, or a soft fluffy toy that he can cuddle up to. This will make the chick feel less lonely, and more like "part of the flock", but give him a chance to get the sleep and food that he needs. Hopefully soon you can put him back for supervised visits!

Back
Top Bottom