worried about my rescue!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TandyRanch9, Feb 11, 2015.

1. TandyRanch9

TandyRanch9 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri
    This is Gertrude Featherbottom. Her whole flock was wiped out by a wild critter. I friend asked me to take her in. She a sweet gal but she looks rather sickly to me. She has been treated for lice and mites. However I'm concerned about the white on her face and she appears swollen. I have no idea how old she is. Just looking for advice. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Can you post pics of her standing naturally? Side shot so folks can see her stance and whether she is droopy or not.
    The white on her face looks to be just on the tips of a few feathers and may just be her coloring.
    If she was present during this attack and it was recent she may be VERY stressed.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I agree but it would also be great if you could include a picture or two of both of her eyes with the lids wide open. I don't know about your doctor but my doctor always asks to peer into my peepers.

4. TandyRanch9

May 18, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri
    I will get a picture of her standing tomorrow! But as far as her eyes go, she always looks like just like that. Likes she's about to fall asleep. That's why I wondered if she might be a bit swollen. Is there anything I should look for in her eyes? I really appreciate your help!

5. TandyRanch9

May 18, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri
    I also want to add that I believe she has suffered some frost bite. She is missing a claw from her back toe on one of her feet.

6. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    To look at that pic her eyes look clear. She doesn't have any bubbles or running of the eyes? How long have you had her, is she eating and drinkin?

7. TandyRanch9

May 18, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri
    I got her this past Saturday. Yes she is slowly warming up to us, ie: coming when I call and eating when I toss food/corn out to the others. They haven't been terribly welcoming to her, poor girl, but the aggression seems to have died down now. The first night she flew over the fence and was in the neighbors yard. The next night she refused to roost and slept on the floor of the coop. The third night she slept in a nesting box :/. I tried to get her to roost but she kept jumping off and that is when i noticed she seemed sqinty and tired looking. so last night I perched her on the roost and made sure she was not picked on and could rest ok. Again she looked like her eyes were barely open. Today I treated her for mites and I just thought maybe I should ask about her "sleepy/swollen" looking face.

8. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    She has been through a tremendous ordeal. Losing her flockmates to a predator, being put in with a bunch that wont let her have peace, not recognizing her space since the coop is different then where she was. It is a lot for a little hen.
    Since she is in with your chickens there has been no quarantine. Watch your existing flock for signs of illness since you suspect she may be ill. Even if she seemed perfectly healthy she could still have been a carrier of a disease.
    Not wanting to alarm you just make you aware.

I personally think she is just tired and stressed from the entire ordeal she has gone through.

9. TandyRanch9

May 18, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri
    Oh I know I should have quarantined her :(. I feel awful that I didn't but the day I brought her home was we was the same day that we laid my husband's sweet grandmother to rest. After the burial I had a house full of family and was emotionally out of sorts. I'm definitely watching all (6) of them. I hope you are right about being stressed and tired.

10. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    You did have some super stressful stuff going on yourself it seems.
    I am sorry to hear about the loss of your husbands Grandmother. It is hard times for you both I am sure.
    All you can do is do the best you can.
    [​IMG]
    I understand and sympathize with your situation and putting her in not quarantined.
    I do hope she is just stressed and tired.

Take time to take care of you as well.

Babs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by