Worried about Orp.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smiledge, Dec 24, 2016.

1. smiledge

smiledge New Egg

Aug 29, 2015
    Hey all. Have a question and need suggestions. My Orp Tayo is acting a little weird. Haven't seen her eat in 2 days. She's drinking but seems sluggish almost. We can pick her up no problem and that's not normal for her. She only two season old. Got her as a chick 2 springs ago. I checked her pooper and it seems fine. But I'm a little worried. We've had a few very cold nights but we had heat lamps on to keep all three warm. The other two Astros are fine. Normal as ever. But I know something is up with Tayo cause she won't even eat her milworms...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    I know that must be so hard for you- it would be for me, too- my chickens are a part of my family, and watching them be sick is like watching a person I love being sick. Since there are multiple different things that could be the problem, and she doesn't seem to have any symptoms specific to certain diseases, I would recommend you take her to a vet as soon as possible. If you need help finding one, you can p.m. me your general location, and I can help you, or if that's a problem for you financially, or for some other reason, tell me, and we can discuss other possibilities for treating her from there. Good luck!
    -Ameraucanas

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! But I am very sorry about your Orpingoton. I hope she gets better soon!

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!!

How does her crop feel?

5. smiledge

smiledge New Egg

Aug 29, 2015
    Its small and soft she hasn't eaten today.. She's drinking and I bathed her in Epson salt and gave her some extra calcium thinking she is egg bound.. But she is soft there too I don't feel an egg. Her poop is really runny brown and white..

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post in detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. Have you tried coaxing her to eat ? Try scrambled eggs, warmed oatmeal, anything that she especially liked before.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with Diva's advice above. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

9. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Hello and :welcome! I hope you enjoy BYC just as much as the rest of us do! I hope your Orp gets better soon. :( You've been given great advice though, so best of luck!

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under smiledge [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry to hear that Tayo is feeling under the weather. As suggested, the Emergencies thread is a good place to get answers. I hope that you are able to help her feel better.

I also hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by