Worried about the heat

LizGled628

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Rhode Island
My two rouens are about six weeks old and have happy, healthy little quacks. I keep them in an enclosed run that shares space with my chicken run, but is separated by a wire fence until they are comfortable co-mingling (they each have their own houses). I let the ducks and chickens free range together, and they all seem to get along. Today, I put the ducks in with my chickens in a large enclosure we use when we can't let them free range, about 28'x18. I set up a pool with a ramp, a few pans of water, their regular waterers and food. The chickens did a little chest bumping with the ducks, but everyone seems to be getting along.

My ducks are sitting in a corner panting. They have tons of fresh cool water, and shade, but they aren't making a move for it. Do you think they're just stressed about the chickens, and it's hot (it's in the nineties today)? They don't usually pant, and if they are thirsty, I dont understand why they aren't going for the water. I spray them down with the hose every few hours but I'm still worried. Am I just being an over protective mom?

I'm all for being overprotective.

My plan for the afternoon (temps upper 90s) is to move us all into the basement storm shelter, where it will be in the 70s (we have no AC by choice).

Meanwhile, it's fresh water and shade. I have noticed my runners will sit and pant for a while. I don't think that's a scary thing - they just want to sit, and they are warm.

I was just spying on them from my office, and I noticed that when they made a move for the water, some of the chickens went after them. I don't care about chest bumping, but my RIR had her feet up and looked like she was clawing at the ducks back (as the poor thing was running away!). I just removed the chickens and put them back in their run, and let the ducks have the large enclosure today. The chickens didn't appreciate the kiddie pool anyway! I would keep them in the their attached runs all the time, but they are a little small...I used to free range but my chickens wandered TWO houses down and got into someone's plants, so now they must be corralled!

Glad I'm not the only over protective mama out there
smile.png

Sounds like you sorted out the problem! we're extremely hot here today.. in the 40's(c) with humidity, i just make sure they have plenty of water and the usual access to shade... i've opened them up for the day and sort of expect they'll take refuge in the cedars located beside there run.

Back
Top Bottom