worried abut my Lethargic hen.

Hi Castportpony. Yes sorry I did read it when you posted but then when it came to the feeding last night forgot and panicked as didn't want to give her too much in one go. She is so thin the vet had trouble finding enough muscle to put the injections in! I know it's silly but it's a 50, 50 chance she will survive and I feel guilty I didn't spot this earlier. She is one of the last remaining hens we bought for our son before he died so a bit more emotionally attached to this old bird then a rational person should be ;-) but I know from reading your post on emergency care link this can happen. She looked so health!!
Thanks for reminding me and will re-read again.

Ok next question. Having only had liquid feeds and still ignoring the corn next to her why is she know eating the wood shavings used as her bedding? Even when I put the corn in front of her she eats the shavings either side it?

Ok next question. Having only had liquid feeds and still ignoring the corn next to her why is she know eating the wood shavings used as her bedding? Even when I put the corn in front of her she eats the shavings either side it?
I don't know, but I would use a towel, not shavings and offer her crumbles w/water or scrambled eggs. She shouldn't be getting corn, IMHO.

It very much she looks like there's life in the old girl yet. Unfortunately I think she maybe blind! She's eating on her own if I put her mash nearby the trouble is she pecks above the food several tes before she finds it. If I put corn on the grass she scratches the grass but doesn't see the food! What should I do?

Hello there,

I've just read through your thread. I just had a chicken with similar symptoms and took her to the vets and was given the same treatment.
I'm really interested to hear what the outcome with your chook went?

Hi there sadly she didn't get any better. I carried on feeding her and kept her indoors unless it was nice and sunny then took her outside to try and get her to copy the other hens feeding this didn't work and she just gave up and died.
I hope you have better luck..

Sorry for you loss.
hugs.gif
@Orchardchicks , welcome to BYC, you might want to start you own thread if you're looking for advice.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom