Worried, look at This egg! Normal?!?

Beard4

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
E707D60E-085E-4F4F-B848-1827BEF269C3.jpeg

So our golden comet has been laying for a 12 days now in the nesting box (this is the first day I have NOT seen a beautiful hard egg).

Our Rhode Island Red started showing signs, similar to our Golden comet right before she starting to lay, last night (stand off-ish, and squatting and staying squatted for a minute).
This morning I see no egg in the nesting box but I did not look into the actual coop. At lunch I went and checked again and this is what I found.

our 7 chickens are on a mix of layer/chick starter feed. With oyster shells in the corner of the coop.. however all my chicks will eat the oyster shells..

is this normal for a Rhode Island Red first egg?
Could it be our golden comet?

..all have been on the mix feed a little under 2 weeks, oyster shells been offered for that long also for our golden comet

Oncoming Storm

Songster
Jun 3, 2019
Looks like a soft shelled egg which usually means a lack of calcium. I think it is more common in new layers (don’t hold me to that I’m not 100% sure) but it’s strange since it sounds like you’re offering them calcium. Are they actually eating it or eating around it? I have a hen struggling with soft shell but she REFUSES to eat the oyster shells I mix with the feed.

Beard4

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
I have the oyster shells off to the side.. Not mixed with the feed. However, I just offered her baked eggshells and all of them gobble that up a lot more than the oyster shells. It was laying close to were she perches at night.

Could she have dropped it in the night?

Looks like a soft shelled egg which usually means a lack of calcium. I think it is more common in new layers (don’t hold me to that I’m not 100% sure) but it’s strange since it sounds like you’re offering them calcium. Are they actually eating it or eating around it? I have a hen struggling with soft shell but she REFUSES to eat the oyster shells I mix with the feed.

Oncoming Storm

Songster
Jun 3, 2019
I have the oyster shells off to the side.. Not mixed with the feed. However, I just offered her baked eggshells and all of them gobble that up a lot more than the oyster shells. It was laying close to were she perches at night.

That’s quite possible since I had no idea my girl was struggling until I saw several soft shelled eggs at the base of the wall where my chickens roost.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop

Are they eating the Oyster Shell?
Mix the eggshells in with the OS....in a separate feeder, not in with the regular feed.

Not unusual for a new layer to drop a few softies,
and they often are dropped wherever and whenever,
can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out.

Beard4

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
thanks everyone, they have been eating cooked eggs shells a lot better than the thicker oyster shells.

I have had 2 solid eggs since, followed by 2 soft shells, and then 1 hard again..

now my Rhode Island Red won’t come out of nesting box, I think she is one of my new layers, at least 1 soft shell egg

Are they eating the Oyster Shell?
Mix the eggshells in with the OS....in a separate feeder, not in with the regular feed.

Not unusual for a new layer to drop a few softies,
and they often are dropped wherever and whenever,
can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out.

Hand Mama

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Jul 27, 2020
View attachment 2289953
So our golden comet has been laying for a 12 days now in the nesting box (this is the first day I have NOT seen a beautiful hard egg).

Our Rhode Island Red started showing signs, similar to our Golden comet right before she starting to lay, last night (stand off-ish, and squatting and staying squatted for a minute).
This morning I see no egg in the nesting box but I did not look into the actual coop. At lunch I went and checked again and this is what I found.

our 7 chickens are on a mix of layer/chick starter feed. With oyster shells in the corner of the coop.. however all my chicks will eat the oyster shells..

is this normal for a Rhode Island Red first egg?
Could it be our golden comet?

..all have been on the mix feed a little under 2 weeks, oyster shells been offered for that long also for our golden comet
I agree it does look like a soft shell egg, but more like a snakes??

cmom

Hilltop Farm
12 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
It happens once in awhile especially with new layers while they are working out the kinks. I put grit and oyster shells in my feeders with their feed and they take what they want but I have a lot of birds and this works best for me. I have given it to them free choice but most of the time it ended up on the floor and then they didn't touch it so I started putting it in the feeders.

Beard4

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
I live in Alabama, the first soft shell was directly under where they perch at night. The other 2 soft shells came in on the same day (3 days after the initial one).. 1 between the feeder and water and another was where they free range first thing in the morning while I give them fresh water and make sure they have enough food.

I only have 1 layer (golden comet for 2 weeks now) however my Rhode Island Red is 23/24 weeks old.

She has seemed very interested in the nesting box, carving her out a spot every day.. I just thought she was having a hard time sorting out the laying an egg deal.

That could also explain why you haven seen any other eggs, where do you live?

Top Bottom