1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worried..... Some advice please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainstorm, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    My Silkie/showgirl and easter egger eggs went on Lockdown on Wed.. its friday night now and theres NOTHING happening. their due date is tomorrow, I did a quick candle of them to see if they were even alive, of course I cant tell with the easter eggers shell to dark. But NONE of them have broken into the air cell. werent they suppose to do that Wed? Also on the Silkie eggs, when I candled them it looks like they have Alot of extra room in there.. Not like it was when I hatched my first 5, (all black cept aircell) its clear some like alot of extra room. Their alive I could see them moving but does that mean it'll still be a few days before they hatch, not finished forming? Should they be put back on the turner? How long before I should really start to worry? I think the easter eggers are alive, I thought I could see faint movement but with green egg hard to tell.

2. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    It's called "Lockdown" for a reason. No candling allowed. Patience, grasshopper.

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    first of all lockdown means you do not open the bator until the hatch is done. at least 24 hrs after the first one has hatched. day 21 is sat. that is hatch day. opening the bator during lockdown and candeling them, not good. big no no. you will be lucky if any of them hatch. day 18 thru 21 do not open the bator. i wish you luck hatching. be patient.

4. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    LOCKDOWN....no touchy touchy!!!

I know its hard not to mess with them, but you have to leave them alone!!! Give them a chance to do what they need to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by