TattooedChickenPapa

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I'm worried this one is a Cockerel. The only reason that's a problem is I live in the city. I live at the edge by a a very large park, but I can't have roosters. It looks like they may have sickle feathers. They are about 4 and 1/2 weeks old. Anyone have any thoughts?
1000011067.jpg
1000011073.jpg

I believe she is a pullet.

If she is pure Barred Rock and not a cross breed.

As chicks, males have a larger, messier head spot, females have a smaller, neater head spot.

As they start to feather out like your chick pictured here, the females look much darker than the males who appear to have much more white than your chick.

You won't see sickle feathers on a bird this young.

Looks like a pullet to me, but a few more weeks to know for sure. She has the dark wash on the front of her legs, and the feather barring appears more black than white, and indefinite patterning. No red showing yet in the comb or wattles. None of this is definite at 4 weeks, but it's a clue.

when she was a tiny chick, was the white spot on her head small and round (pullet), or large and irregular (cockerel)?

I believe she is a pullet.

If she is pure Barred Rock and not a cross breed.

As chicks, males have a larger, messier head spot, females have a smaller, neater head spot.

As they start to feather out like your chick pictured here, the females look much darker than the males who appear to have much more white than your chick.

You won't see sickle feathers on a bird this young.
Thank you I appreciate it! That's really good to know

Looks like a pullet to me, but a few more weeks to know for sure. She has the dark wash on the front of her legs, and the feather barring appears more black than white, and indefinite patterning. No red showing yet in the comb or wattles. None of this is definite at 4 weeks, but it's a clue.

when she was a tiny chick, was the white spot on her head small and round (pullet), or large and irregular (cockerel)?
Large but pretty well rounded

Back
Top Bottom