Would a "duck island" in a pond make for a happy/safe duck?

Airlift Acres

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 12, 2013
Cabot, Arkansas
We just purchased a 10 acre farm with a 1 acre spring fed pond. There is a sizeable island in the pond about 20 feet from the shore. If I built a shelter on the island would the ducks (which we have yet to buy) be safe on "duck island". Or would fox, racoons, or other preditors swim out and make a meal of our new friends?

racoons would swim out there and eat there heads off and maybe a fox to so no don't put one out there make it so that they half to come back to a pen at night then shut the door so nothing gets them but they would love an island

Nice that you have a pond for them. I also have a spring-fed pond that never freezes and the ducks just love it. I read about so many who sometimes struggle with their ducks' water needs and I feel really blessed to be able to have a small pond for mine. I particularly like to watch their "jet-ski" races! I just wish everyone could enjoy the benefit of a pond or at least have a water source so they could have fresh water constantly flowing through a special duck area. It certainly makes duck management easier.

Of course, one needs a pond that doesn't have snapping turtles, water snakes, or mink in it. You will certainly want to check your new pond out because if any of these critters live there it won't be good for the ducks and it won't take them long before they decide they won't use it.

Best of luck to you and
welcome-byc.gif
!

Last edited:
rollkeeg877 shares my thoughts. I know of a flock of geese that were decimated, even though they had a little island in a pond. Especially in winter, if you live where ponds freeze over, they would still be at risk. It's really something when you start thinking about duck security.

Back
Top Bottom