Would a new rooster be fine with older hens?

Apr 22, 2023
I recently got a rooster and i’m still debating whether I keep him or not. He’s either a bantam or a standard Cochin, not sure yet. He has 2 other hens the same age as him but my other hens ages range from 2-10 years old. I only have 3 other bantams, one is just about 9 years old(a silkie) and the others are 2 years old(a OEGB and a Sultan) Would I have to worry about my rooster doing serious damage to them if he tries to mount them since they are little? My yard is also a decent size so they could hide or run easily if they needed. I’m worried about him skinning their backs raw or worse. I know it also depends on the rooster’s behavior, he’s only about 4 weeks and doesn’t show any aggression towards me or the other chicks other than play fighting. He usually is the first to back down or run when play fighting too🤷‍♀️

Welcome to BYC.
Until you know whether he is a standard cochin or a bantam, this is impossible to answer.
I would say raise him for a few weeks and reevaluate. Also, all "teenaged" cockerels will aggrevate hens, until they get a little more mature, though some hens may keep them cowed. At around 7 months you'll be able to tell more about his personality.
Good luck!

Welcome to BYC.
Until you know whether he is a standard cochin or a bantam, this is impossible to answer.
I would say raise him for a few weeks and reevaluate. Also, all "teenaged" cockerels will aggrevate hens, until they get a little more mature, though some hens may keep them cowed. At around 7 months you'll be able to tell more about his personality.
Good luck!
Thanks a ton! He’s a pretty big boy for being just about 4 weeks:D Hoping he’s standard but I’ll also be fine with a bantam! Here’s a photo of him. My last cockerel was a polish, about 6-8 months. He brutally attacked one of my old hens..almost killed her.. he’s long gone now. So I’m a little untrusting of roosters currently😅

Attachments

• 645270AC-CFC1-4629-A52D-F71B4DD9C442.jpeg
    645270AC-CFC1-4629-A52D-F71B4DD9C442.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 20
Thanks a ton! He’s a pretty big boy for being just about 4 weeks:D Hoping he’s standard but I’ll also be fine with a bantam! Here’s a photo of him. My last cockerel was a polish, about 6-8 months. He brutally attacked one of my old hens..almost killed her.. he’s long gone now. So I’m a little untrusting of roosters currently😅
He has a nice little comb coming in. Very cute!
If he is a standard, you'll probably want to rehome him. He could easily hurt one of your bantam girls without meaning to.

often, older hens will teach the young cockerel some lessons before he fully matures. Another positive is that he’ll be getting to the age of sexual maturity as the daylight gets shorter, which in turn helps minimize the extreme behaviors. As daylight lengthens and spring nears, then he’ll be getting the hormone surges, when he’s closer to a year. Hopefully that helps with any attitude.

Once we had a varied aged flock, we had fewer cockerel issues bc the older hens put them in their place, until the males were flock leaders.

He has a nice little comb coming in. Very cute!
If he is a standard, you'll probably want to rehome him. He could easily hurt one of your bantam girls without meaning to.
I most likely will rehome him when he gets older. I actually have 2 Roos. The Cochin and the other is a Barred OEGB, considering he is a lot of a smaller chicken I might keep him. Almost all but 3 of my chickens are big ol’ girls so I doubt a little Roo could do too much damage (hopefully I don’t eat my words😬) I was wanting a larger rooster to protect my flock of danger but I heard that the OEGB are pretty good roosters to alarm the hens of danger. Thanks for your help! :)

often, older hens will teach the young cockerel some lessons before he fully matures. Another positive is that he’ll be getting to the age of sexual maturity as the daylight gets shorter, which in turn helps minimize the extreme behaviors. As daylight lengthens and spring nears, then he’ll be getting the hormone surges, when he’s closer to a year. Hopefully that helps with any attitude.

Once we had a varied aged flock, we had fewer cockerel issues bc the older hens put them in their place, until the males were flock leaders.
You make a great point! I’ll see how it goes, might be tuff with 2 cockerels but I’ll separate them if I have too. This is my first time owning a rooster in a while so I’m a little nervous for my hens.

I recently got a rooster and i’m still debating whether I keep him or not. He’s either a bantam or a standard Cochin, not sure yet. He has 2 other hens the same age as him but my other hens ages range from 2-10 years old. I only have 3 other bantams, one is just about 9 years old(a silkie) and the others are 2 years old(a OEGB and a Sultan) Would I have to worry about my rooster doing serious damage to them if he tries to mount them since they are little? My yard is also a decent size so they could hide or run easily if they needed. I’m worried about him skinning their backs raw or worse. I know it also depends on the rooster’s behavior, he’s only about 4 weeks and doesn’t show any aggression towards me or the other chicks other than play fighting. He usually is the first to back down or run when play fighting too🤷‍♀️
Welcome to BYC!!

I most likely will rehome him when he gets older. I actually have 2 Roos. The Cochin and the other is a Barred OEGB, considering he is a lot of a smaller chicken I might keep him. Almost all but 3 of my chickens are big ol’ girls so I doubt a little Roo could do too much damage (hopefully I don’t eat my words😬) I was wanting a larger rooster to protect my flock of danger but I heard that the OEGB are pretty good roosters to alarm the hens of danger. Thanks for your help! :)
Yes the OEGB is the correct choice after taking in your flock composition
A single rooster is enough.

Back
Top Bottom