Would a pure Sebastopol be growing black and grey feathers? Im confused, pictures of the parents were pure white and full curly feathers

Rooka_2

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
I know nothing about geese, I bought hatching eggs as "pure curly Sebastopol".
Feathers are all coming in white, but most have grey hues within the feathers. One has pure black feathers randomly popping out in different spots on her body. I saw pictures of the parents, and they were pure white and curly. So now I'm wondering if these are a mixed breed or if Sebastopols can have grey hues to their feathers at first? What about this black spotted one? Mixed breed or normal?
1000013823.jpg
1000013821.jpg
1000013822.jpg

1000013824.jpg
The dark one is not a Sebastopol
1000012864.jpg

There are grey sebbies, it’s possible they’re mixes but just as possible that they’re purebreds with a dormant gene. The grey feathers will be a dilute grey and the black feathers are actually true grey, they just look darker while they’re developing.

There are grey sebbies, it’s possible they’re mixes but just as possible that they’re purebreds with a dormant gene. The grey feathers will be a dilute grey and the black feathers are actually true grey, they just look darker while they’re developing.
Thank you! The lady who sold them to me said they were pure and she was suuuper nice so I thought it must be something normal. She also told me she only had Sebastopols so I was really confused when I saw grey and black.
It's odd though that her parent flock looks pure white in the photos she sent me. I don't see hints of grey in them at all.

Thank you! The lady who sold them to me said they were pure and she was suuuper nice so I thought it must be something normal. She also told me she only had Sebastopols so I was really confused when I saw grey and black.
It's odd though that her parent flock looks pure white in the photos she sent me. I don't see hints of grey in them at all.
White in geese is the result of a gene that dilutes whatever color the bird actually is, so often a white goose can actually be genetically grey or buff but will present as white.

Then there is the spotting gene responsible for geese that are saddlebacked or pied, birds that are splotched with white and colored patches which sebbies and Pomeranians are well known for, which is likely the cause of your goslings colored feathers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/our-guide-to-colour-and-pattern-genetics-in-geese.561779/

If not that there’s something that occurs in other animals called “non complete/ incomplete dominance” where a gene responsible for diluting a coat color will be mysteriously absent on a particular part of the body, for example non complete dominance is what’s responsible for blood markings on some grey horses. I’m not sure if that’s something that can happen in birds, if not then it’s more than likely the spotting gene.

Also something to consider as they feather out is that Sebastopol geese can be fully curly all over their body, some can have curled feathers but be smooth breasted, and some can even be completely smooth with no curled feathers but from what I’ve heard that’s less common as breeders breed for curled feathers as that’s kinda the point of Sebastopols. Point is they still have the chance of throwing partially or fully non curly individuals.

Back
Top Bottom