would a rat be attracted to a duck pen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by calmhorizon, May 12, 2010.

1. calmhorizon

calmhorizon Hatching

Mar 4, 2009
    Hello!

My upstairs neighbour saw a rat when she took the compost out a few days ago, and we are wondering if rats might be attracted to the duck pen. I shut the ducks in their house at night, and no food is left in the pen at night. Would rats be interested in pelleted duck food anyway? I'm hoping it's not my duckies and their pen attracting rats. Is that common? These are urban ducks.

Thanks!
    Caroline

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    You bet your britches they are! They will eat the pellets, poop, and steal the eggs. They will even eat the ducklings if they can catch them. Nasty little varmints! [​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Yes! I have one that's moved to the duck pen since i sold the geese. It was stealing the eggs & eating the feed too. There hasn't been eggs missing for a while now so maybe my ducks started getting mean finally. I have also noticed that something is pulling rotten eggs fromt eh compost pile out into the field.

I have always had tiny little field mice but the rats are new, they're nasty and i just want them gone. thankfully i havent had any ducks injured yet.

4. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Songster

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Sounds like it is time for some barn cats!! Or Muscovies. I hear they can kill rats. Yuck! Hope they move out and find a new home somewhere else soon. Good luck!

Kathy

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My Muscovies are completely useless! with the rats. a friend of mine has cats that kill any at her place and then the ducks will eat the dead rats when they leave the pen in the morning [​IMG] i'd rather not see them eat it..just wish they would kill them in the night, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by