Would a rooster help stop pecking amongst hens?

Crs1

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2014
Kansas City, MO
I have 30 hens and have a pecking problem! It’s happening at night on the roost as best I can tell. We put up more roost length so they all wouldnt be fighting for the one roost. Pecking is mostly the neck area and seems to be spreading to more hens. I think the stress is also affecting laying Would a rooster help stop that ? Ideas?
Thanks
Connie

Short answer is ...No.

Roosters are not part of the pecking order amongst the hens. My roosters will break up all out fighting, but typical roost time pecking order drama or bullying? They don't get involved in.
More space, more roosts, dividers or jailing the bully's to knock them down the pecking order sometimes works. All short of culling for what's best for the flock in the end.

Short answer is ...No.
Roosters are not part of the pecking order amongst the hens. My roosters will break up all out fighting, but typical roost time pecking order drama or bullying? They don't get involved in.
More space, more roosts, dividers or jailing the bully's to knock them down the pecking order sometimes works. All short of culling for what's best for the flock in the end.
Very good answer

Roosters will break up fights but won't dictate pecking order. That being said, I wish you were closer and I could give you one of my roosters.

Back
Top Bottom