Would A Silverudd’s Blue Rooster’s And Buff Orpington Hen’s Chicks Be Sex-Linked?

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello!

I am looking for somebody who has a Silverudd’s Blue rooster and a Buff Orpington hen. I am trying to find out what the offspring would look like…whether it’s consistent in every chick or varied for individuals.

A few months ago, I hatched three chicks that are from my Silverudd’s Blue rooster and (I am fairly certain) my Buff Orpington hen. Sadly, we had to get rid of him due to aggression issues, and she was killed by a coyote while sitting on a clutch of eggs a few weeks ago.

Two of the three chicks are cockerels and look exactly the same, and the other is a pullet that looks completely different. I am wondering if they may possibly be sex-linked? Please forgive me if this is a stupid idea, but I know nothing about genetics or sex-linkage and how it works for different breeds. I was only wondering and wanted to see if anyone else could carry out an experiment for me, or if they could somehow find out by their knowledge of chickens’ DNA and genetics? TIA!

Thanks for the reply! That’s very interesting!

I noticed you said “blue rooster”… is he a Silverudd’s blue or another ‘blue’ breed? Also, do you happen to have pictures of their offspring as chicks?

My pullet hatched with a taupe-colored body along with a contrasting light yellow head. As she grew her feathers in, her body remained a similar taupe color, but her neck now has white mixed in with the brown and her head is a dark brown/almost black.

Back
Top Bottom