Would an intermittent fan in an incubator work?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Oct 14, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Just wondering if it would matter if the fan went on and off in my incubator during a hatch? I have a hoverbator and a separate digital thermostat that I was planning on hooking up to it, and short of rewiring the fan, wondered if it would matter if the fan went on and off as the power to the bator went on and off as it would be controlled by the digital thermostat? I'm guessing in the long run I will have to rewire, but just wondered if anyone else thought it would have much effect?

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    It should work just fine. the fan is to help keep the cold spots in the inc. to a minimum. It isnt really needed at all if the inc. isn't too large. So on & off should work well for you.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Unless the fan is wired to the hovabator thermostat I don't think it's going to work for you. Or at least not working for me thinking how it would work... Would the separate fan turn on as the temp hit 99 F in attempt to circulate air to warm it up (the heater does that)? Or will it turn on when temp hits 101 F in attempt to move the hot air to bottom of incubator? Either way I'm not seeing the point of intermittent fan unless attempting to save power and the strain of on/off of fan motor 200 times a day will shorten it's life. Purpose of forced air is to eliminate hot and cold spots so it would seem logical to have it running 24/7 for constant temp over all the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by