would chicks like something to hide/snuggle under?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fosterchickens, May 20, 2008.

1. fosterchickens

fosterchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    putnam co
    I am picking up 6 chicks on Friday, and between now and then I am coming up with all kinds of weird ideas.

I was wondering if the chicks would be much happier if I gave them something to get underneath, like a half shoebox with one side cut off and faux fur stapled to it? Like an artificial mommy.

Obviously, its not necessary, but would it be dangerous? Has anyone tries something like this? I just keep thinking about all the animals that like to have a "hideout", especially babies. Even most bugs, for that matter.

Please write if you have any opinions or especially any experience with such stuff.

Thanks,
    Foster chicken mommy (their going to live with a neighbor once their out of the brooder- 3 gold wynadottes, 1 buff orphington, & 2 easter eggers)

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Mine have a mini hotel. Its a cardboard box upside down and I cut 2 openings so they can go through or hang ount in there and they love it.

3. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought of that too and the only worries i have are if too many get crammed into it and then couldn't get out and suffocate....thats just what i thought would happen if it had a small opening. maybe if it was a big opening..they would like it I'm sure

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have used a feather duster when I only have a couple of babies. They really seem to take comfort in it.

5. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2008
    I too use a feather duster. Mine LOVE it. They sleep under it and play under it. I just have it hanging in their cage. Mine are 5 weeks old and still go under it.

6. R&RHens

R&RHens New Egg

May 20, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Feather duster eh? Sounds like a good idea - I just got 6 chicks myself, so I'll try it tonight and let you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by