Would eggs freeze if shipped to me?

CountryMama

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
West Michigan
I am REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY itching to hatch some eggs but no one around me has fertile eggs for sale. I would love to buy hatching eggs but I am concerned that they would split and freeze solid.

Has anyone here received eggs in the middle of winter in the northern elements? Next week it is only going to have a few single digits as day time highs but usually its 20-30 degrees

You should be fine. I've been shipping live snails across the country without heatpacks and they've arrived alive and well. One package was stuck for the entire week, and didn't lose one. Can't imagine that chicken eggs would freeze any faster than water and live snails.

I'm not as far north as you are, but it seems this time of year, eggs that are going either north to south or south to north seem to fare better. I sent some eggs to a person in PA a few weeks ago. Only a few were developing, the others either formed blood rings or did not develop at all. PA is about due east of here, so they were in colder temps the whole way. It probably would have helped if the P.O. would have taken less than 10 days to deliver them also!

I have gotten eggs shipped to me from southern states, and they are doing fine. I wouldn't have any shipped from northern states to you right now. Anything below the 'bible belt' should be okay.

I received eggs last Monday- I am waiting until the latest cold spell breaks before I order more- I just posted yesterday how my eggs are not developing, except for four of them.
Again, I do not know if it was from the cold shipping or if it was from rough handling from the post office.

Oh No!
I never should have read this.
Now I know I'll never be able to wait until spring.
gig.gif

The only thing holding me back was the thought that the eggs might freeze before they get to me.

I'm not having any major issues and am hatching today, some 2 batches of eggs sent during a frigid cold snap along the east coast last month. So far so good!
Like anything else it seems, what will be....will be. :<)
Good luck deciding!

I wouldn't have eggs shipped at this time. Temps are only around freezing for daytime highs. I absolutely wouldn't waste my time shipping eggs. I have a person waiting for eggs, but I told them I wont send eggs that aren't going to arrive hatchable. I'd rather they get mad at me having to wait then send them and have them frozen and not get a hatch. Of course I don't really sell eggs much, so I'm sure some people do it though.

I ship eggs year round most of the time. I have heard great feedback from winter hatches from our eggs. In most cases internal egg damage is due to handling, not freezing. If the eggs are packed well and heavily insulated for shipment, they should arrive just fine. Unless you have a unusual case where the PO let them sit on a dock for a day or so in freezing temps. Typically that does not happen and packages are moved from destination to destination rather quickly. I would encourage folks to put a phone number on their package to have the PO call them during winter deliveries to ensure they don't sit outside at your mailbox or on your porch all day.

Back
Top Bottom