Would it be ok to....

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
I have ten girls that do not free range. They have a nice sized coop and run that they use. I was thinking that today i might take a couple out and put them in my fenced in back yard and sit out with them for a hour or so and let them free range and play out there. I could even rotate them so they all get some yard time. This would be the first time they have ever done this.

Do you think they would freak out by being away from the others?

Last edited:
There's only one way to find out.
smile.png

True...very true!!
big_smile.png

I hate to say it but you all make me want to do this. I just love seeing the pictures of all your free ranging birds. I'm tired of mine always being in the run or coop. I like the grass and the trees in the back ground.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
The ones that will freak are those who can see the free range ones and they will walk back and forth against the run trying to figure out how the other girls got over there!

We've been doing just that since August, but now that I have garden planted, I can't let them in the backyard or they will tear out all of our tender veggies.

My chickens are allowed out all day every day. They love it. They forage on crickets, grass hoppers and fly larvae most of the year, enjoy scratching through horse, goat and sheep manure for undigested tidbits as well as seeds and grasses throughout the yard. The only concern is foxes, but they pretty much stay away since my mule stompt one to death and another was eliminated with my pellet gun. The chickens pretty much self regulate when they are in or out. If the weather is nice they roam, if not they run home. The only time I lock them up is on these long cold winter nights. And I am getting 13 to 18 eggs a day from 18 hens even in the dead of winter.

I would like to free range all the time CMB however we have spotted a fox around here several times. A neighbor had a bobcat take some of their girls right in front of them. Also sometimes some dogs come through our property. If i'm out there i would feel comfortable...Oh not to mention my cat.....

Do you think it would too stressful for you to have all 10 of them out at once? If they've been in their coop/run for awhile they know where home is.
My chickens have been going out since they were 2 weeks old. At first for short periods of time with constant supervision, now all day with a little supervision, i.e., I check on them every couple of hours.
They have never wandered more than a few acres away from their coop.
They'll enjoy it immensley and you'll enjoy watching them. If you're going to supervise them I think they'd be just fine.

My kids and I take our 5 silkies out every day to play around the yard. We have to guard against hawks, dogs and cats. Because of the snow we had to carry them to the defrosted spot on the side of the house. If we carried one over, the other four stood in the door of the run and squawked at us until we got them too. They hate being separated, and they hate the snow on their feet.
Spoiled brats. That would be the chickens, not the kids.
LOL

Back
Top Bottom