Would like everyone's thoughts on my foundation plans please!

elisaliv

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
OK so I'm planning on building a Wichita Cabin Coop with some changes. Here is the coop without the changes I plan on making:

The above pic shows the bottom pavers longways (which go into the ground) and then pavers laying flat under the coop frame. One of the changes I am making is to this foundation. I will put the pavers into the ground like below and then add 1/2" hardware cloth that extends 1 foot out from the frame on all sides. I will have to connect two pieces of hardware cloth to make it large enough to cover the whole area. The dimensions of the foundation are approximately 10' x 5'.

I plan on using cinderblocks (16x8x8) onto of the pavers which will be underneath the coop frame. They will go directly over the hardware cloth which is at ground level. I plan on pouring concrete in all of the holes of the cinder blocks which will hopefully seep down into the hardware cloth and onto the ground some and help hold it all together.

I plan on adding pea gravel on top of the hardware cloth to help with drainage. Then put course river sand on top of that. This plan puts the run floor above the normal ground line to hopefully help prevent it from staying wet when it rains. Should I dig down before putting the hardware cloth down and add pea gravel underneath the hardware cloth as well?

Does this sound like a good plan?

Sounds like a good foundation. Make sure you pick a location that is not a low spot in the area. If you build on the high ground, you should not have any drainage issues based on your plan. Good luck, and post pictures.

I wouldn't put gravel on top of the hardware cloth on the inside of the coop/run. It'll just get mixed in with the bedding almost instantly. I have gravel under the hardware cloth that I have on the outside of my run that I think helps with drainage with my sloped site but that may or may not apply to your situation. Otherwise I think you have a good plan. It is very similar to the way I did my foundation.

Are you going to mortar the blocks or dry stack them?
Do you realize that blocks are actually smaller than the nominal 16x8x8 to allow for a mortar joint?

Are you going to mortar the blocks or dry stack them?
Do you realize that blocks are actually smaller than the nominal 16x8x8 to allow for a mortar joint?
I planned on just dry stacking them and filling the holes with concrete. But I did not realize the blocks are smaller than the size stated. I guess it would be better to mortar?

Quote: Or just keep that in mind as you plan the rest of the coop, measure a block of the type that you plan to use so you know the real dimensions...make sure the block in the cad program you are using are the correct dimension.

I made that error of assumption once, why I pointed it out.

Last edited:
I planned on just dry stacking them and filling the holes with concrete. But I did not realize the blocks are smaller than the size stated. I guess it would be better to mortar?

I dry stacked mine without mortar but I did stick a little construction adhesive between all of them. I don't know if the adhesive has totally dried but I haven't had any of them move or come loose.

The design looks great!
You will have some issues with resting the structural aspect of structure on the block with stability. I recommend setting the corner posts in holes. Dig a hole 20" deep, set your posts in concrete and then run your CMU block between the posts this will allow you to have the entire structure resting on these 4 structural posts. The other design you will have an issue fastening the structure to your block

Best of luck!!!!

Back
Top Bottom