Would like to start raising poultry for profit

Pics

BillJoeseph

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2020
I've been raising poultry for the past 10 years. Currently have 18 Pullets, 8 ducks, 3 turkeys.. I work for the NCRS as a soil surveyor. I work a 12-hour work shift. I've been pondering the idea of raising poultry more for-profit as a part-time job. I currently have $10,000 saved up for start-up capital. What would be the best way to do this? Selling eggs? Meat chickens? Breeding? I would sort of like a niche market. Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
Selling across state lines would be subject to additional laws/regs.

selling from your “doorstep” is often allowed, but depends on the state as to what number per year, any inspection (if any). Selling to a grocery or restaurant comes with oversight and regulations. Selling at farmers markets is often somewhere between “doorstep” and “grocery” regs. You should call your county ag extension agent to get further details.

selling to your market means finding out what they want. Is it a holiday market (you raise items for the fall/holiday season or all year? Is there an ethnic group that wants something particular, like ducks?

Selling across state lines would be subject to additional laws/regs.

selling from your “doorstep” is often allowed, but depends on the state as to what number per year, any inspection (if any). Selling to a grocery or restaurant comes with oversight and regulations. Selling at farmers markets is often somewhere between “doorstep” and “grocery” regs. You should call your county ag extension agent to get further details.

selling to your market means finding out what they want. Is it a holiday market (you raise items for the fall/holiday season or all year? Is there an ethnic group that wants something particular, like ducks?
CA. I want to raise all year. Which do you think Breeding, meat or eggs is more lucrative. I will call them.

What state are you in?
I'd start by learning your state rules on selling eggs vs birds vs meat.
CA. It has pretty lax egg selling laws other than an egg handler permit and labeling. But which do you think breeding, meat or egg is more lucrative

CA. It has pretty lax egg selling laws other than an egg handler permit and labeling. But which do you think breeding, meat or egg is more lucrative
Unless you want to be a commercial poultry farmer I don't see anyone doing well from selling to their neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom