Would like to try incubating, but completely overwhelmed!!

I've hatched parrots in a lot of Brinsea incubators and now and trying my hand at chickens...and guess what, a Brinsea incubator. They do have a higher initial capital outlay, but you get that back with higher hatch rates and less stress & fuss in my opinion. Every incubator of theirs I've used has been spot on with the thermostatic controls too.

Hi Blondi - welcome!
I would suggest if you are working long days and want to be able relax about it all, certainly go for a good quality incubator. It pays for itself very quickly in reduced stress!!! I have a collection of reasonably mid-price incubators sourced off ebay that do all the turning themselves, and other than keeping an eye on them to make sure they keep working, they don't otherwise need too much care during the process.
Of course you can put as much time and effort and energy and stress into each batch as you like!!! Each time I start a new lot I think I will leave them to it and check them in a week, of course then spend half my time checking how they are going. It is totally addictive and great fun.
As others have already said, certainly read as much as you can but keep in mind everyone likes to do things their own way and in such a way that it suits their life and set up. Use what information seems sensible and useful to you and leave out the other, you can go quite mad second and third guessing every decision you make. Best thing I did when I first started was keep notes of everything I did and what happened, so that if something didn't turn out well, I could try and work out why, and at least not make the same mistakes over and over.
Ask lots of questions - everyone here is so helpful and knowledgeable! And finally - enjoy!
Regards, Cate

Blondi...

The Brinsea Octagon you mention is one that I have. Started out with two of the Brinsea Mini Advanced units and use them more than than the Octagon since I tend to hatch only small groups of eggs at a time (the Mini Advanced will hold 7 eggs). Set these and forget them (with the Mini Advanced they can be programmed to stop turning three days before hatching).

Often whichever incubator you decide on depends on how many eggs you wish to hatch at a time.

Gail

I am also looking into getting a Brinsea incubator at the end of the month since they seem to be the most recommended brand. I was wondering if it was worth the significant price difference to go with the Mini Advance EX or if the cheaper Mini Advance worked well enough. Trying to be as well informed as I can be before I commit any money to a purchase.

"I was wondering if it was worth the significant price difference to go with the Mini Advance EX or if the cheaper Mini Advance worked well enough. Trying to be as well informed as I can be before I commit any money to a purchase."

I have only used the Mini Advance and have been very successful hatching my own eggs with these units. They do contain a "water pot" in the middle to add humidity and include a guard on top to prevent newly hatched chicks from accidentally getting into the water pot.

Gail

Back
Top Bottom