Would They Get Along?

That would be too many roosters for the number of girls. The correct ratio of boys to girls is 1 to 10. Any more roosters than that and your ladies start showing signs of over mating.

most people say 1:10 ratio, but 1:6 works great for me. plus it depends on the roos additudes. I have 4 roos that co-exist well but I increased my run space to 3x what it was when they were separate. If they are both docile roos it may go well, but it depends how willing one roo is to be not the top roo. Roos love to be #1 and it may be hard fopr some to accept being #2 which leads to fighting. A little fighting is ok as long as no one gets physically injured

I agree that would be to many roosters to pullets! I added a new rooster along with 27 pullets to my flock of 1 rooster and 18 pullets. I have no problems at all with them mistreating my girls but they sure like to fight. The only reason I've been able to keep both of them is that they free range all day, every day!! Wonder how it's going to go when I add another rooster and 3 more pullets in the next week or so!!
hu.gif

Missi

If they have been raised together you can sometimes get away with it but I would watch really carefully to see if they start to fight. They WILL kill each other if left alone and are fighting. I'm also of the opinion it would be really rough for your hens. That is ugly... feathers pulled out, bleeding etc.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom