Would this constitute temperature shock? (isolated bird logistics)

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I have an injured hen that I'm keeping separate from the others until she's recovered enough to return. They attacked and bloodied her in some out-of-character fit of violence, but things seem to be calming down, so I hope to put her back with the flock soon.

She sleeps in my basement at night (~50 degrees), but spends the day outside - locked in the coop by herself in the morning, so she can lay, and then out in a partition of the run for the rest of the day, where the flock can see her. So far it's been in the 30s and 40s outside since she's been separated, so not that big of a temperature difference. But today it's much colder - teens - and I'm worried about temperature shock when I take her out. She's otherwise healthy. Is this a bad idea? It's not going to get any warmer than the 20s today, or tomorrow. The instigator who led the attack on her has calmed down significantly, so I can put the recovering hen in a crate in the coop for the night from now on, just didn't want to stress her out with that up until now (when the bully was trying to peck at her through the partition fence and was clearly still agitated, and the injured hen was acting nervous and afraid).

Picture tax for attention :D This is her, hiding behind me in her run partition when the bully was charging at her through the fence. Things have calmed down a lot now, and the hens don't pay any attention to each other, which gives me hope about integration.
1642774581892.png

Watching as going from comfortable days and nights to freezing nights in a day is common here this time of year.

Picture tax.....:lau
Haha you’re right. We’ve had 47 and 7 as the day temperature within a matter of days over here… Though it’s gradual, not as sudden as stepping out the basement door.

Back
Top Bottom