Would this coop/run be enough for 4 full size hens? We had 3 but lost one unexpectedly.

ScrambledChick

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Pepperell, MA
We lost one of our hens last week (a Delaware) The remaining two (a Black sex link and Orpington) are fine and about 3 mths old. We are wondering if we add two more will the space be enough. People suggested adding more than one and also that it would be easier if we do it now while they are still young. The dimensions are coop: 4x3, 4 roosting bars, six nesting boxes (on the outside of both sides). The run which goes under the raised coop is about 10x3. If you see in the pics it is inside of a fenced area (which is 24x12) using welded wire (not chicken wire) which is 4ft high and now the top is covered in aviary netting. Pics were taken before but we have 2 water and 2 food containers now. We let them out in the big run area every day, leaving the doors open to the coop/covered run, they go in and out as they please from 7 am to 8 pm. But what about winter or bad weather when they are confined in the smaller covered run? Will it be too small for 4? Unfortunately the farm we got them from has sold all the Delawares and only has Leghorns, Sex links and one Orpington. Don't know what we will get yet if we do. Thanks.
943724_4737684047128_1085281466_n.jpg

936106_4643987584775_384507115_n.jpg

That should be big enough. I probably wouldn't go over 4 though. Go for the other orp and a leghorn.
I sometimes can't figure out what these manufacturers are thinking. For 4 birds, one would only need about 2 nest boxes. Do they think somebody is going to cram 20 birds in there?

I agree. You should be OK with 4 in that, but no more, especially in a Massachusetts winter. You are wise to consider that. It’s amazing to me how many people only think of the perfect conditions when looking at things like that. Just give them as much room as you can when you integrate.

You might want to put a tarp or something on the upwind side in winter to block the wind and keep some snow out. Mine will normally get used to snow in a couple of days as long as it’s not real deep but they hate a cold wind blowing on them.

4 roost bars, 6 nests for a coop that size! That’s ridiculous. They could have made it cheaper. I do like that cupola though. Good ventilation.

That is a huge run. Very nice. Your limiting factor is of course the coop size. If you are of the management style of not heating, or putting food and water in coop or locking chickens in there during days then you could have up to six chickens roost in there at night. Plenty of space for four birds.

I never lock my chickens in excepting at dusk till morning. My little 4x4 coop with external nesting box easily accommodates 7 chickens without any problems and some years I'll have 8. That's as little as 2 sqft per chicken as it's only used by them for roosting at night. I use tarps as cover on the two prevailing wind sides of run during winter for added shelter. With the shelter they only stayed in the coop by choice two mornings this past winter and those were the -25F mornings and they came out to run by 10 am. Those mornings I tossed some BOSS in with them for immediate feed as they awaited the sun to warm them.

Last edited:
I saw a coop like that someone had and they complained that the roof leaked. It was 1X boards that weren't tongue and groove nor sealed between them. Try running a water hose over all areas of the roof to see if it leaks.

Thanks for all the replies. We applied a thick coat of water seal on all the wood and used clear silicone caulking on the roof. We have had heavy rain, thunderstorms the past couple of weeks and the coop was perfectly dry. I will block off one set of nest boxes and use only 3 when they are older. I keep the food and water out in the covered run, there really is no room in the coop for it. Should I leave all 4 roost bars or take two off? I do plan on using some type of plastic to block wind in the winter. I never lock them in the coop except at night. I just leave the door open and the two doors on the covered run and let them do their own thing all day. I was planning on getting no more than 3 or 4 hens from the beginning. I just did not expect one to die after a month. Now I wish I got 4 to start! I am also wondering how to integrate using that space. The man I got them from said to put a large dog crate in the run (it won't fit so maybe put it beside the run?) with food and water, shavings, etc. for a few days and let them see and smell each other. Then put them all together at night when its time to go in the coop.

Last edited:
I have a 4x4 with a external nesting boxes hen house with a 7x16' inclosed run for 5 hens. It works fine for them. We lock them in the hen house at night and let them out in the am. We built ours out of pallets and the wood for the run was old deck boards.

Back
Top Bottom