Would this coop/run idea work?

So I have a 10x10 (well now 10x20) chain link dog run that would be similar to your poultry wire pen link. I wrapped hardware cloth around the perimeter. I have a small pre-fab chicken coop inside it as well, but for the most part my ducks just use the 10x10 dog run as their coop - it has a covered roof. And in the winter it has tarps halfway up 2-3 sides to protect against wind and blowing rain/snow. I used lots of layers of straw in the winter to keep them warm. I have other areas in it they can "hide" in as well. But for the most part they prefer to just be snuggled up in piles of straw with their buddies. I think with some predator proofing and weather proofing, your idea could work. This all depends on the type of weather and predators you have.

So I have a 10x10 (well now 10x20) chain link dog run that would be similar to your poultry wire pen link. I wrapped hardware cloth around the perimeter. I have a small pre-fab chicken coop inside it as well, but for the most part my ducks just use the 10x10 dog run as their coop - it has a covered roof. And in the winter it has tarps halfway up 2-3 sides to protect against wind and blowing rain/snow. I used lots of layers of straw in the winter to keep them warm. I have other areas in it they can "hide" in as well. But for the most part they prefer to just be snuggled up in piles of straw with their buddies. I think with some predator proofing and weather proofing, your idea could work. This all depends on the type of weather and predators you have.
Oh perfect! That's almost exactly what I was thinking. If (judging by your username) you are in Indiana, our weather is similar. I'm in Ohio. So this could work.

I got this same pen from tractor supply last week. I'm going to use it with some modifications for my chickens until we get a much bigger nicer one built. Then I figure I can move it around the yard to give them some variety (would definitely take two people to move), or might even make it into a catio. It seems like a really nice pen, though it is a bit pricey.

Oh perfect! That's almost exactly what I was thinking. If (judging by your username) you are in Indiana, our weather is similar. I'm in Ohio. So this could work.
As others have said, tarps don't last forever. And you'll probably want tarps along part of the sides to protect from wind. But they are pretty hardy. We just make adjustments as needed. Just make sure you really predator proof it since they aren't locked up in a super secure coop inside.

What would be ideal is something like the hoop coop you suggested because being able to walk in to clean is really nice with how messy duck poop is.

Back
Top Bottom