Would this make a good coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iamcuriositycat, Sep 19, 2009.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Looking for used materials & ideas for my friend's chicken coop for his daughter's banties. I've been all over this site, and gotten SO many good ideas and thoughts. Now I'm trolling craigslist for potential materials. What do you think of this:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/bab/1382888837.html

I can't tell scale from the pic. It would be a pain to move, but for $50 (obo?), it would be cheaper than making it from scratch. I think it's pretty cute, and it could be re-worked to include a small run underneath, although I suspect her chickies will free range during the day.

Thoughts?

2. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    I think I would cut the legs down and try and move it home. There is a lot to build on. You could just add a few nest boxes and it would be ready to go. Check out the modular ones I made. It could be as easy as cutting square holes in the walls and placing them.

3. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I think it would be functional as well as very cute. If kids can fit inside, it must be pretty roomy. It looks like it has a window that opens, that's good. I would cut the legs down about half if it were me, to make it easier for you to access/clean it. Definitely cheaper than building your own!
    [​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Looks sturdy and cute. I think it would be great to transform into a coop. It would be a pain in the XXx to move, but more then worth it. Good find![​IMG]

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Go for it...I would shorten the legs and have room under the coop enclosed for safety just in case they need to be confined but still have shelter....IAdjustments for add'l vents, popdoor, nestboxes, roost etc should be easy to make. And it looks cute [​IMG]

6. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Looks really good and a great buy!
    Possibly 8x8 (from the pic, I do sq ft as a living) which would give you 64 sq ft of space.
    Great front overhang. Likely worth 600 or more with materials and time to build. Buy it before the price goes up.

7. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    $50????????

Jump On It!!!!!!!!!

8. AmeraucanaLuver

AmeraucanaLuver Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2009
    Well if it were me id make a house out of scratch but if u dont have the skill or tools it looks like a good plan but i agree chop the legs:jumpy u can put skids on the botom if u want it to be like a trackter. so ya go 4 it:thumbsup

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, guys! Wow, that was quick--and helpful! I have sent the link to my friend. He'd have to be in on it since, after all, it's his daughter, lol. He's actually quite handy with tools and building, but also very frugal and committed to recycling, so this may well appeal to him.

Thanks for the size estimation--that's really helpful. I am terrible with such things, especially just from pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by