Would this make her leave the nest???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NonnasBabies, Mar 1, 2011.

1. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I have a BO broody sitting on 10 eggs. Went to make my rounds and give them food and she was off the nest. Okay she usually does that a few times a day but it usually right back on. Well I found a broken egg in the nest. We're on 7 days and it was a perfect 7 day embryo. Well it had ants all around it. I removed the dead one cleaned everything up rand emade her nest basically and she will not go back on it!! [​IMG] It's been a few hours. Soooooo..... I just made a homemade incubator so I decided to bring them in and put them in that. Candled all of them and every single one was at day 7 stage!!

So now I'm keeping my fingers crossed they didn't die from her being off of them too long!! [​IMG]

But do you think it was the ants that caused her to not wanna go back on the nest????

Thanks

2. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chirping

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    I do not know why she left the nest but the eggs should be okay as long as it was only for a short time.

3. NonnasBabies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Well, that's definetly what I'm hoping for but it was a few hours at least!!! So who know!! [​IMG]

4. perolane

perolane Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I had one get spooked off the nest for 4 or more hours (I was at work)....they all hatched...so it will probably be fine!! [​IMG] Good luck!

5. NonnasBabies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Thanks!! I have them in the bator now. Whatever happened to her it completly broke her broodiness!! [​IMG] I keep hoping another one goes broody!! [​IMG]

6. bluere11e

bluere11e Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    Here in So. Fl. We have some NASTY fire ants.. occasionally, I'll have hens run off a nest because the ants decide to set up shop. I use a LOT of DE and I THINK it helps.. Still have a problem with the fireants though

7. NonnasBabies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Yeah we have those bad boys too!! I have a feeling that she probably got bit on her butt!! Cause they sure were attacking the embryo in the broken egg!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: