Would This Product Work When Treating Lice?

Blue_Myst

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
My chickens have lice, so I was looking at products I could use. I'm not going to use Sevin dust or ivermectin, because I know there's less-toxic stuff out there that works. I was looking at permethrin dust the other day and found thishttp://www.bugspray.com/item/eco_exempt_d.html It was attached to a page on permethrin dust, claims to be an organic alternative.

Anyone have experience with this product? I want to choose only the safest treatments for my flock, but I will use the regular permethrin if I have to.

My dads friend showed chickens for a living, and always used 7 dust 5 %. i used it, and the lice were gone within 10 mins. as long as you dont let them get it in their nose, it's fine.

The product you listed is about the same toxicity level as permethrin poultry dust, which is also plant dirived. The only difference is that permethrin is toxic to fish and bees, but your stuff probably is too.

I would go with something with a more proven history, but that is just me. I used the permethrin dust for my birds and the spray for the coop. I also wanted something with a lower toxicity than sevin or ivermectin. It seemed to work well.

THis may be kinda late in the tread but I wanted to pitch in for others.

I use Eco Exempt D (and have been for about 5 years).
I have NO experience using it in the hen house.

I DO use it in my own home as a less harsh alternative to the bug man. IT WORKS! even on fire ants. I use it as a barrier under the baseboards and in crevices. Smells like kitchen spices as opposed to chemical smell. I do get a headache for about an hour after first applied but I try to do it on a nice day as to air out the house.

It WILL kill bees and other outdoor pests as well that is why i DO NOT use it outdoors as I want to keep the outdoor beneficials alive.

My concern in the coop would be breathing the dust. AND the effects of the various herbal oils on the birds.
It is very potent. Its' label cautions to not get in eyes. 2-phenethyl propionate is derived from peanuts, a "minimal risk" pesticide according to the EPA.

I have not used it in the coop (yet). I am still researching - thats how I found this old thread. I am wanting to use it for scaly leg mites and any other possible critter that the girls may contract.

Here is the link to the main ingredient from the NIH - for humans but it is a start.
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+7428

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom