Would this simple feed mix work?

brummie

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2013
Trying to get off the pellets, but keep a simple as possible and cheap feed mix.

The chickens will be regularly fed a variety of greens - so along with the vegetables, kitchen scraps etc as a daily feed will this be ok (I will mix and feed it free choice):

75% wheat grain (12% protein)
10% split peas (raw, 22% protein)
10% lentils (raw, 22% protein)
5% BOSS

Oyster Shell free choice in a separate dish.

As a regular diet will that be ok? It should give them enough protein from the lentils and split peas and I'm sure with all the greens and everything else they will be getting will give them enough of everything else.

are there likely to be any problems if fed free choice e.g they leave the lentils and eat up all the wheat?

I will sometimes give them sprouted/soaked stuff also like sprouted wheat and lentils.

http://www.mofga.org/Publications/M...r/Summer2003/Chickens/tabid/1481/Default.aspx

I have found that my chickens lay better and gain weight better with some organic soy. So I mix in organic chick starter (20% protein) as a base.

So the things I feed are:
rolled barley
oats
millet
org. corn
split peas
BOSS
wheat
layer pellets mixed in too
chick starter mixed in too

oyster shell
grit
redmond mineral conditioner

That much wheat would concern me. I would mix in some other grains too, like corn and millet, for balance.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
look at biotin

I recommend "Feeding Poultry" by GF Heuser Norton Creek Press as a good old timey poultry nutrition book.

It would be good to either add a vitamin premix or make very sure they are kept up to date with greens and fruits/veg year round in order to get enough vitamins. Minerals are important as well.

Fertrell nutri balancer is commonly used from reading BYC posts:
http://www.fertrell.com/analysis_tags/Poultry_tag_no_meth6.pdf

Lentils have more tannins in them than split peas. They are OK to feed raw, but just be aware.

They will self-regulate from what I have found, pretty well. In winter they will require more grains. They will let you know!!

If you give them too many split peas they won't eat them. The same with flax seed and pumpkin seeds (and peanuts). I have not fed lentils yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the book recommendation. Yeah it's probably better to replace the lentils with flaxseed and add in some oats to take wheat content down. All other grains around here take the cost far to high.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Yeah it's probably better to replace the lentils with flaxseed and add in some oats to take wheat content down. All other grains around here take the cost far to high.
Don't go too high with your flaxseeds or it will make the eggs taste bad (same with fish meal and garlic). I personally don't like going over about 4% or so flaxseeds. They don't favor them anyway (or at least my flock didn't).

Enjoy your mixing!!

Feed mixes are so beautiful! They look delicious and varied.

Back
Top Bottom