1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would this work for a nest box?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Mar 10, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    [​IMG]
    I have one or two of these booda dome litter boxes lying around and was thinking it might make a nice nest box. What do you think?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My ducks seem to love laying in the biggest mud puddle they can find and covering the eggs with either more mud or a little grass [​IMG]

Usually I just put some hay in a 'hidden' spot and they figure it out.

3. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I am not familiar with the buddah dome litter boxes. how big are they? As long as they have room to get in and out, can move around comfortably and such, don't see why they wouldn't work. If they think they have found a great hiding spot...that's where they seem to enjoy laying. Good Luck.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Someone else posted a while ago about using one of them for keeping their ducks in at night. The problem I see with it - is the lip at the top of the ramp- I dont know how tall it is- but some ducks may have issues getting over it from on the ramp. being such a confined space- they cant really flap there wings like they sometimes do to help them get over something when walking around. If you have them already..you can try it out - you have nothing to loose- but for those spending money on something- you can find better things for the same price or less.

5. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I think they will waste a lot of space so I am gonna try and think up something else

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by