Would this work?

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
I sold my incubator because I was having much better luck with broody hens. But I really miss watching the chicks hatch! So could I let a broody hen set on eggs until about day 18, then move them (or a just few of them) to a hatcher setup, so I could watch them hatch? Would a small cooler and a heat lamp work? And then when they were hatched I could slip them back under mama.

Yes it would, Nifty asked about the same question but I cant find the thread, will find and put it here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29135

Except he doesnt want to give the chicks back to the MOMMA gonna let the kids spoil them babies.
lol.png

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the link. The only problem is that I no longer have an incubator. Could I use a small cooler and a heat lamp for the last 3 days? Would it keep the temps and humidity steady enough?

Quote:
Great! Now I'll be anxiously awaiting a broody hen... shhh don't tell them that I want them to go broody, or they never will! I'll just pretend that I really need them to lay eggs and not be broody at all, ever. Then I should have broodies up to me eyeballs! LOL

Back
Top Bottom