would this work?

kardar2

Songster
6 Years
May 24, 2013
Jones valley area
I was thinking, If I bought a rooster and made A small coop and I mean small so the can't crow it.and let him out like at 8am for the day. And trained him to go in his own coop his coop would joined with the run so he would be with the girls during the day. Would he stay going in his coop or would want hewant to go in with the girls? I know they make a collar now but from the YouTube vid. They still sound loud.

Some people do box their roos for the night. But, IMO, just speaking personally here, if my roo can't be a roo 24/7, I won't have one. I think the stress on him being separated from the flock at night, as well as the extra maintenance of catching him and putting him in confinement every night would be more maintenance than I'd want to own.

I totally agree with LG and Mrs. K. I don't know about you, but I'd sure hate to be stuffed in a box every night. Why do you want a rooster in the first place? If it's for fertile eggs, you can buy them. But I'm guessing you live somewhere where you might be limited in how many chickens you can have, so you probably wouldn't be hatching chicks anyway. If it's for protection, roosters don't "protect" so much as they are a warning system, and in the absence of a rooster, a hen will often do that. If it's just because they're pretty... well, then I would say don't bother. That's a lot of fuss to go through just for some eye candy in the yard.

My roo is quietest at night when he's on the roost with his hens. I don't let them out until after 8am. The coop is pretty dark. He crows in the coop anyway. He crows in the yard all during the day too. Your roo will crow sometime during the day, no matter if you box him up at night. It's not just a thing they do at sunrise. If you can't have the crowing, I'd suggest not keeping a roo. Crowing is what they do.

If you live where you can’t have a rooster, don’t get a rooster. Not only do you potentially make it hard on yourself, you make it harder for the people that are keeping chickens legally. You are giving people that don’t like chickens at all more ammunition to get them banned totally, rooster or not.

I don’t know why you want a rooster or if you can legally have one. The only reason you need a rooster is for fertile eggs. Anything else is just personal preference. Many people are quite happy to have a flock with no roosters and others wouldn’t dream of having a flock without a rooster. We are all unique people in unique circumstances with unique goals. I wish you luck but it sure sounds like you should be one of those people happy with a flock without a rooster. Just enjoy your hens.

Back
Top Bottom