Would you buy a 25# bag of feed?

Quote:
Here in the mountains of NC we don't have the choice of 25# bags, but I sure would like to have. I seems to me that feed companies should be interested in providing different size bags. Aren't there lots of backyard chicken owners with just a few chickens?

I don't know if I would buy the 25# bags. I go through 2 50# bags of layer feed every 2 weeks for 30 chickens, and 2 50# bags of finisher/grower every 2 weeks for 10 ducks and 2 geese. I was just wondering if this seems like a lot of feed to be going through for the number of birds I have? This week I decided to only buy one 50# bag of each, and 2 50# bags of cracked to mix 50/50 with the feed. Does anyone else do this?

I buy 300 lbs of feed at a time since that is what the 2 trash cans that I use as containers can hold. I usually buy a combo of cracked corn, laying feed and in winter I add gamebird feed because of the higher protein. I lay these along the tailgate of my truck and mix the feed in buckets before I put it in trash cans - at least until the bags are about half empty so I can easily left them.

If the cost was the same for the 25# bag per lb I would probably be interested. However, if I can could 100# bags cheaper I'd go for that first. I would just spend hours putting it away.

I wouldn't be interested. It actually ticks me off that the game bird feed I get now only comes in 40lb bags.

Back
Top Bottom