would you change this...

chicalot

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
I have a Brinsea mini advance. Usually the chics pip when the day is still on 2, so 3 days early (?). I plan to take out the turner, put a paper towel down, and fill the second water place each time I hatch. Previously even if I had a pip I would do those things but this time I didn't hoping to not have a bad hatch as in the past. So they pipped about an hour after the turner stopped and before I could do the lockdown plan. I left them and 5 of 6 hatched. Two pipped the wrong end with one not making it out. My temp is set to 99.5 and often reads at that or 99.6. I don't monitor the humidity. I don't use the cool off feature. I'm pleased with this hatch for the most part even though it worried me with the early pips. Should I adjust temp down, do cool off, or leave well enough alone? All 5 chics are feisty and healthy.

I personally wouldn't change any thing barring monitoring humidity. I have the octagon and the temp does the same point 5 to point 6. What eggs are you incubating? I hatch mainly polish and they always start pipping on day 19 and hatching day 20. Small or bantam eggs can be early hatchers compared to large fowl eggs. If your incubating eggs that always hatch early you could lockdown on day 17 instead of 18. One day less of turning will not harm them as they developed enough by this stage. Turning is more critical during the first two weeks. It wouldn't hurt to do the cool off for a test to see if they hatch a little later.
Best of luck with your future hatches.

Thanks for the input. Don't know why i didn't think to do an early lock down. I've had the same results with all so far. Last hatch was silkies. This hatch was a barnyard mix with my leghorn rooster. The hens were 2 EE bantam, 2 new Hampshire red, and 1 silkie, all were rather large chics.

6 of 6 hatched this time after doing lockdown a day early. Still pips on the wrong end but in hindsight, I may have set them wrong.

Back
Top Bottom