1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would you eat a chicken that had been killed by a predator?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Hey folks,

I just posted this question in the meat bird section: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7888665#p7888665

We
    had a unfortunate visit from a bob-cat this afternoon while the girls were out free ranging. My mom saw it happen and chased the bob-cat off, but my Jersey Giant was dead.

Would you be willing to take a look at that thread and tell me whether you think this chicken is safe to eat? It seems kinda wrong to eat something you've raised and named, but it also seems like a waste not to. Thanks

2. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I personally wouldn't, because I would be crying all through dinner if i did eat her. I would just either bury her (if you are going to, bury her deep and in a trash bag etc.) or put her in a trash bag and just put her in the trash. Im sorry for your loss... [​IMG]

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I don't eat anything killed by a predator. I either burn the body (so predators don't try to dig it back up) or I feed it to the dogs.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    duplicate; link in first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by