Would You Hardware Cloth This?

Kangasox

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2015
Coop is getting nearly done, I am paranoid and perhaps overengineering, but wonder if I should hardware cloth this. It's a small Crack at the front of the roofline, from a few angles. Probably not even a quarter of an inch. And should I find a way to secure the ridges from the galvanized roof too?

While I'm at it, what predators do I need to worry about getting in with cracks? Thanks!

I don't know what kind of critters you have where you live, but here my issue was bats. Yep, bats, and they don't need much space to get in. So we did close our gaps with hardware cloth, and used 1/4 inch to do it. I don't mind bats - just don't want them in the chicken coop!

Coop is getting nearly done, I am paranoid and perhaps overengineering, but wonder if I should hardware cloth this. It's a small Crack at the front of the roofline, from a few angles. Probably not even a quarter of an inch. And should I find a way to secure the ridges from the galvanized roof too?

While I'm at it, what predators do I need to worry about getting in with cracks? Thanks!
Mainly rats and mice can get in through tiny cracks.
I used 1/4 or 1/2" hardware mesh on vents, eaves, etc.
I also used the Great Stuff expandable foam in the 'Vs' of my metal roof, because the contoured foam strips didn't fit my particular brand.
It worked very well!
I do think it pays off to scan your coop several times over to look for gaps. It may not be foolproof, but it's a start!

Bats are a good Point. Better safe than all of us needing rabies shots! I thought about the great Stuff. I will grab a can and give that a try. So eager to be done, but need to do it right, I suppose. Thanks!

Bats are a good Point. Better safe than all of us needing rabies shots! I thought about the great Stuff. I will grab a can and give that a try. So eager to be done, but need to do it right, I suppose. Thanks!

We practiced on a toilet roll tube, to get an idea of how it expanded.
tongue.png
We also used painter's tape on the wood below, which helped (tho not 100%). Also, I recommend you use gloves.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom