would you tell the seller?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by slackwater, May 21, 2011.

1. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Okay, I am NOT a newbie to hatching shipped eggs, and I KNOW that things don't always go well. I've had hatches range from 100% to none. However, recently, I hatched three sets of eggs at once - one set from myself, one set from a seller whom I have bought from before, and one set from a new seller. Mine hatched so-so - not sure what is wrong with that breeding pen, but that has been par for the course - nothing new there. The one from the "repeat seller" hatched about 50% - not so great in the one breed that I REALLY wanted to hatch, but great in the other two. And the eggs from the new seller hatched at 33% (2 out of 6 eggs). Of those two chicks - both died at around 8 days of age, from no apparent cause. They are brooded with everyone else - same feed (medicated chick starter), same water, same heat lamp, bedding, etc - yet they...just...died. Failure to thrive - they didn't even seem to be growing like their hatchmates (different origin eggs, same hatch date).

I lean towards some sort of weakness in the chicks themselves, since all of their hatchmates are alive and thriving. Those two are the only two that I've lost.

Am I reading too much into this? Just a coincidence? Or would you let the seller know that their chicks may be weaker than others, for some unknown reason?

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    It could be weaker than the others. . .. but you have no idea how differently the post office handled them.

I always let the seller know how my hatches turn out - - - good or bad. I am normally hatching like you did - - -
    some of mine, some shipped, some of I went and picked up from someone else locally.

Out of the kindness of their heart. . . . the seller may offer to resend eggs for cost of shipping.

I have noticed a trend of eggs shipped in the hotter season ( 90 plus degrees),
    do not seem to do as well as the eggs I received in cooler weather (50 - 70 degrees).

3. Doctim

Doctim Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    North of Dallas, Texas
    Just my opinion but 6 eggs is an awful small sample to be drawing any conclusions from. That said it is still worth having the discussion. It may be part of a trend they will recognize with your added data. If I were the seller, I'd want to know.
    Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by