Wouldn't it be cool...

ncCHICKS

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
I am still figuring out how I want to build my coop and run and just thought...

We have 2 outside dogs, my 14 year old Shepherd mix and my brothers 8 month old american pit bull terrier. They have a 60x120 run that is divided in two. If I could shut them into one of the 60x60 areas, that would give my chickens a 60x60 run! It is a 6 foot tall fence. Do you think they'd jump it, should I clip their wings? It's chainlink. I could have a HECK OF A LOT OF CHICKENS.

ohhhhh you could have atleast 300 chickens in there less if the coop is also in there. Hey it is waaaaay to much room for two dogs, you could divide a 60x60 in two nd the dogs would sill have plenty of run. The only thing that concerns me is that your dogs "could" try going for a snack.

60X60!!!!! Thats HUGE!! You could have alot of chickens in that!!!
wee.gif

My hens are clearing a 5 foot fence without a second thought. You might want to start thinking about covering the run. One of my hens flew over the fence into the part of the yard where one of my dogs was. I buried her yesterday morning.

The only concern I would have would be when the chickens stick their heads through the chainlink to the dogs side. I wouldn't even trust my dogs on the other side of the kennel. I have a somewhat similar situation with my dogs and chickens but I have a 10' section inbetween them to make sure my dogs can't grab the chickens. Also consider the digging factor.

Last edited:
Well my brother doesn't live there and my mom doesn't like the dog, so he was told put her on a tie out or take her to his house. The dog, no offense to her its not her fault, is stupid. She annoys my old boy (wish he wasn't so stubborn about being outside since I like inside dogs)

I say go for it. Put chicken wire on the chain link wire to deter the chickens even more but just the barking may disturb the chickens. I have 6 Silkie roos in a 30x 30 and they love it. Of course, Silkies don't fly so I have no problem and even some of my birds that had clipped wings (I didn't do it) still made it over the fence into the yard with them but it is only 4' high. The Silkie boys loved that the girls were coming to visit!
I think you can definitely work something out for that to be a good place for some chickens.
D.gif

Good lord - 60x120 is bigger than most people's lots around here! I would worry about the chickens jumping the fence (mine could) right into the dogs' area. Yikes. Maybe consider a buffer "moat" between? Fence off a strip, say 6ft wide, and use this as a storage area or something?

Back
Top Bottom