Wound - do I need to euthanize?

chickentim

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2021
Just saw one of our chickens has what seems like a bad wound near her butt. Seems like organ or organs are hanging out, and I see maggots writhing around on the side.
C4CA19C4-825C-4F68-9A1C-79C3F42762E8.jpeg

I am guessing this is a situation in which I need to euthanize, and in a past similar situation we naively tried to heal a bad chicken and certainly extended her suffering. I’ve attached a picture and would love input as to what to do. We want what’s most humane here :(.

I’m about to do some research on ways to euthanize but would appreciate any input on that subject if indeed it is the recommendation

It looks like she prolapsed and has flystrike. Flystrike is a life threatening condition that needs to be dealt with asap for her to have a chance. If no maggots have gotten into her abdominal cavity she has a chance. The prolapse also needs to be dealt with, so you have two issues going on, hard to say with certainty which happened first. I will link to some articles that will help, it's up to you how much time and effort you are willing or able to commit to. Prolapses can be a one time thing and never again, or some birds will do it repeatedly. Causes are varied. Get her into a warm bath with epsom salts or mild soapy water. Clean off as much droppings as you can, be gentle with the prolapsed tissue. You will need to also remove every single maggot that you can find. Tweezers may be useful. You can use a gentle spray or squirt bottle to help flush, depending on the extent of the fly strike, maggots may continue to show up for a while. You may find a wound under all the yuck where maggots have chewed her. Once she's dry from the bath you can apply some plain triple antibiotic ointment to any wounds to keep them covered and moist. You will need to check her several times a day for at least a week, for any more maggots that appear, and remove them all. The flies lay eggs that you won't see, that can continue to hatch, so you have to be vigilant about it. For the prolapse, you will need to apply honey and or hydrocortisone cream to the tissue and gently try to push it back inside. It may not stay right away, she will strain and push it out because it's swollen and it feels like that's what she needs to do. Hold it in for a while each time, until it stays in. You may have to do that repeatedly many times. I've had them take days before it will stay in on it's own. It's really important to keep that prolapse tissue moist. If it dries up the tissue will die. Sometimes a sling can help keep it in place until it will stay, I will link to a thread that has pictures. I personally would also start her on an antibiotic since she's got both a prolapse and flystrike going on. Amoxicillin can be gotten as a fish antibiotic without prescription (fish mox) and dose is 57 mg per pound of body weight orally twice a day for 5-7 days. If you have leftover amoxicillin from a human, you can use that also.
https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/flystrike-a-chicken-killer-cuddles-beats-the-odds-again/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Hi Coach,

Thank you for the response and all the detail. Having considered that and all other factors I decided to euthanize. Sad but also feel it was the best decision given the circumstances. I very much appreciate all the advice.

I will be doing a lot of research on prolapse for future birds though so I feel more equipped to deal with this when it arises.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom