Wound healing advice needed - Chickens wound turned black!

Lechugapicante

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 6, 2016
Hi BC friends! I’ve got a 7 yo Copper Maran sweetie recovering from flystrike.

The short: my chicken has a 3 in x 3 in wound, large but not deep, that since catching it three days ago and cleaning it up has turned completely black. Is it healing? Do i need to remove the black? Should i be doing anything different? Should I continue the Epsom salt baths? What’s your advice on continued wound care?

Background: I discovered three days ago that my chicken had developing a sore underneath her vent. I hadn’t realized a chunk of poop had been stuck to her and likely caused the sore and gave a great environment for the flies/maggots to move in. I removed the maggots and gave her a epsom salt bath. I cleaned the wound as best I could with saline spray and iodine, then slathered it in neosporin. Now day three, shes eating, drinking, pecking around, dust bathing, poop is runny but the right color - not 100% herself but up from day zero. I didn’t take pictures of the wound the day i discovered it unfortunately but it was lumpy and weepy, not bleeding.

Care: Epsom salt bath 1x per day, 30 min. Saline spray followed by neosporin before she heads to bed. I’m giving her berries and yogurt along with her usual feed. No oral antibiotics or vet visit.

I’ve read a lot on here with advice all over the place and figured I’d post about her wound specifically. Thanks for your advice!

Hello! Does it smell bad? Is there pus? How is she behaving?
It doesn’t smell but it’s weeping again, no real color, just wet looking. She’s even more herself this evening. - eating, scratching, pecking, hanging out with her other chicken pal.

This is the wound following a epsom salt soak today.

Attachments

• IMG_5803.jpeg
    IMG_5803.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom