Wounded Chick, lots of feathers/down missing after the pecking*PIC*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CovenantCreek, Jan 26, 2009.

1. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Any suggestions to help heal this little girl's wound and get the feathers to grow fast? I don't know what started the assault, but when I saw her it was ugly... (I put some Neosporin on it before I took the picture, that's why it looks so juicy)

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    The other chicks did that ? Oh Man poor baby !!!!!

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Keep this bird separated from the others and the wound clean. You can feed high protein foods & keep on the chick starter to help it regrow its feathers.

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Right now she's sleeping. I don't think she's eaten anything since I took her out of the big brooder around 3:00. I've got her in a small brooder, next to the brooder I'll be putting the latest hatch in tomorrow. Hopefully being able to see, hear, and talk to other chicks will make her isolation more tolerable.

5. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I had really good luck with DMSO from the vet it is for open wounds. Works good on animal bites. I had to cut a chick's vent open to remove a rock hard poop ball and the dmso cleared that right up. Make sure to keep it separate untill healed.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by